Shop the Cabela's Bargain Cave - Save up to 70%!

Author Topic: 1851 Conversion just completed  (Read 9488 times)

Offline Hoof Hearted

• View Profile
    • Cartridge Conversions
Re: 1851 Conversion just completed
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 11:25:41 PM »
Lawyers get you outta the kind of trouble you'd never get into if there was no lawyers...........

Kirk has it right.
What did that famous guy say about equal and opposite reactions?

Once upon a time the revlovers we hold so dear did not have to say (down the length of their barrels) "For Black Powder Only".

Ya know, you can't legislate common sense  *)-
Check out my new website:

http://www.cartridgeconversion.com

Offline Junkman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
Gary,

If YOU tell me that a conversion can be done on a brass frame, as long as the pressures are equal to C&B standards, I will change my thinking.  (j*
I AM the devil's advocate!

Offline Hoof Hearted

• View Profile
    • Cartridge Conversions
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »
Gary,

If YOU tell me that a conversion can be done on a brass frame, as long as the pressures are equal to C&B standards, I will change my thinking.  (j*

I think I have already said that.......

Let's try this:

How can you have a problem with a conversion on a brass frame as long as the pressure generated in the cartridge does not exceed the pressure that you would make with the Cap and Ball cylinder?
I'm sure that a brass frame will show indications of too much pressure if abused with either.

Or this:

I built a converted Brass frame Remington and I have had no issues with it. I am using prudent loads, do not feel the need to "hot rod" it and will never shoot it enough to experience any issues.

I will tell you that the same logic applies to loading 45 Colt ammunition. You know that there is load data published in every Loading manual that is labeled "for use in Ruger revolovers and Single Shot pistols only". Would you use these loads in a Colt SAA? As a prudent person, I would not!

Offline Junkman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »
I believe you Gary. But the manufactures, such as the people you do installations for, insist they are not for brass frames. Personally, I would do a brass frame too, because I would not go crazy with the reloads for a steel frame either.  _|^

Offline Hoof Hearted

• View Profile
    • Cartridge Conversions
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
I believe you Gary. But the manufactures, such as the people you do installations for, insist they are not for brass frames. Personally, I would do a brass frame too, because I would not go crazy with the reloads for a steel frame either.  _|^

junkman
I am not sure if you are agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, just conversing or maybe trying to get me to incriminate myself {'P

#1 I am not speaking for the manufacturers of the products (I thought this was a given).
#2 I am not an "employee" of any company (well my wife does claim to be the boss).
#3 I am not saying I would recommend anyone doing anything they do not feel comfortable with.
#4 I am recommending that anyone that owns a gun, shoots a gun, works on a gun or buys toilet paper does their research before applying said product to the intended application.

It is a strange land we live in, one in which manufacturers (and I guess even gunsmiths) must consult with lawyers so that they can try to defend themselves from lawyers who LOOK for clients in order to make money based on their missfortune. The legalease about brass frame revolvers is a way to DENY any complicity if you do not apply number three & four above. You must already know that there is ammunition you should not shoot in the Conversion cylinders because it is too hot. Remember McDonald's hot coffee or Honda's Three Wheelers?

I cannot explain this in any other context to you and I apologize to you for that in advance.

Regards, HH

Offline Junkman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
Gary,

I understand you completely. I did not mean to put you on the spot. I am sorry if you misinterpreted my reply.  ^")

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »
Gary,

Oh, suuuuuure...Gary tells you it's OK and it's fine. Does any one listen to me? Does anyone listen to me? I get no respect...arrrrgh! ;)  (wink, wink)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
 I heard of a brass frame that went south from just black powder cap and ball loads. I guess it can be the difference of who manufactured the frame, and the quality of the brass. Sort of like the early 03s.

I noticed that the recommended loads included with new revolvers, regardless of make, have gone way down since I started with this hobby so many years ago. I think the last time I checked, a Remmie should be loaded with a max. of 15 grains. 12 for a 51 navy. I may be off a tad, but it aint the 20 and 25 it use to be. Everyone is skittish of a law suit.

I converted the 51 and it's sooo nice to shoot black powder through. Not as nice as the one pictured, the ejection rod doesn't line up exactly right, but it doesn't take anything away from the pistol.