Author Topic: Kirst Konversion for 1858 New Army  (Read 2645 times)

Offline gregj

• View Profile
Kirst Konversion for 1858 New Army
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »
I just got my new Kirst Konversion Pale Rider (non-gated) model today. Dropped it in, and much to my disappointment, had a problem right away. A problem not mentioned in the list of potential problems on the troubleshooting guide that came with conversion. When I cocked the hammer the cylinder would rotate into full battery position and then rotate backwards about an 1/8 turn. The cylinder would actually rotate with the hammer down as well. I removed the cylinder and measured the width of the cylinder bolt slots which were 0.150". The original C&B cylinder measured 0.158" and the bolt width measured 0.154". I removed the bolt and carefully  reduced it's width to about 0.148". I removed enough to make sure it seated all of the way in the bolt slots since they are considerably shallower that the C&B cylinders slots. The cylinder  locks up well now and the timing seems to be good as well. I can't wait to put a few rounds down the barrel so I purchased a box of Fiocchi 45LCCA rounds to try out. Everything seems to be set but I would like to know if there are any words of wisdom I might need to know before I fire for it the first time?
If this conversion works out well I think I will purchase an Uberti 1858 New Army Conversion revolver for my next one. Its considerably less expensive to buy a factory conversion than converting a C&B revolver.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:14:44 PM by gregj »

Offline Hoof Hearted

• View Profile
    • Cartridge Conversions
Re: Kirst Konversion for 1858 New Army
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »
Greg

The bolt width issue does occur from time to time.....
Glad you were able to get it to work!

If you run into any other issues, I'd be glad to help.

Regards, HH
Check out my new website:

http://www.cartridgeconversion.com