Author Topic: Collecting the Replica Confederate Revolvers.  (Read 25769 times)

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
    • Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association
Collecting the Replica Confederate Revolvers.
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »

Collecting Replica Confederate Percussion Revolvers

There has been a number of replica Confederate percussion revolvers manufactured that these alone can make a very nice collection.  Following is a list of these revolvers that I have found in my research.

Brass Frame - (Original Brass Frame Revolvers were all .36cal.)
1.   Griswold & Gunnison Prototype - Navy Arms - There were only 6 of these made by
      Gregorelli & Uberti.  Very, very rare.   
2.   Griswold & Gunnison Plain Cylinder
3.   Griswold & Gunnison Plain Cylinder Sheriff
4.   Schneider & Glassick Octagon Barrel - Plain Cylinder
5.   Schneider & Glassick Octagon Barrel - Plain Cylinder Sheriff
6.   Spiller & Burr - These were produced by Pietta, Palmetto, and an Unknown
      (using the double diamond logo).  Distributor markings known at this time are
      Cabela’s, Navy Arms, Dixie Gun Works, and Armsport.  Pietta discontinued marking
      any revolvers for distributors around 20yrs ago (with a few exceptions) so revolvers
      are also marked Pietta.
7.   Spiller & Burr .44cal. - L. A. Jensen, Lake City, FL - This was the one of the first replica
      percussion revolver ever produced.  Very, very rare. (The .44cal. was purposely
      done by Mr. Jensen in order to readily identify it from the original Spiller & Burr).

Steel Frame
1.   Leech & Rigdon – These were produced by Uberti, Pietta and High Standard (using
      Uberti parts).  Distributed by Navy Arms and Cimarron.  There are a few Leech &
      Rigdon revolvers marked “Navy Arms” with the “GU” initials on the right side of the
      barrel flat. Rare.
2.   Leech & Rigdon Sheriff - Distributed by Navy Arms.  There are a few Leech &
      Rigdon revolvers marked “Navy Arms” with the “GU” initials on the right side of the
      barrel flat. Extremely Rare.
3.   Leech & Rigdon - Currently made by Uberti with engraved cylinders (Historically 
      incorrect)
4.   Leech & Rigdon Prototype by Centaure - Only one known to exist.  This prototype
      was discovered by Wolf Niederastroth in interview with Mitchell Shore and Leslie
      Field.  Part of Sig Shore’s estate.
5.   Tucker & Sherrard Co. Texas Dragoon - Offered as a cased set with “T”
      prefix on Serial #, only 400 made.  All cased sets bear the “Western
      Arms” markings.  A few single revolvers were also marked “Allen Arms”, “Western Arms, “A.
      Uberti & C. Gardone V.T. Italy”, and “Cimarron Arms”.  Rare

Dance Revolver
1.   Dance .44cal. - Commemorative Dragoon Prototype - Uberti - Only one in existence.
      Owned by Tony Gajewsky.
2.   Dance .36cal. - Commemorative - Uberti - Only 44 complete sets produced
3.   Dance .36cal. - Commemorative - Uberti - Frame only - Six of these
4.   Dance .36cal. - Uberti - Only 50 produced.  All marked “SMLS Co.” on barrel.
5.   Dance .36cal. - “Dance Firearms Co., Angleton, TX” - Pietta - Only 35 produced
6.   Dance .44cal. Rebated Cylinder Prototype - “Dance Firearms Co., Angleton, TX”
      Pietta - Only 4 in existence.  RPRCA Ltd. collection.
7.   Dance .36cal. - Pietta -  Only 75 produced
8.   Dance .44cal. Rebated Cylinder - Pietta - 105 produced
9.   Dance .44cal. Straight Cylinder - 8” Barrel - Pietta - Current production

Foreign Manufacture for CSA
1.   LeMat Army Model -  Plain Cylinder
2.   LeMat Army Model -  Engraved Cylinder
3.   LeMat Navy Model - Plain Cylinder
4.   LeMat Navy Model - Engraved Cylinder
5.   LeMat Cavalry Model - Plain Cylinder
6.   LeMat Cavalry Model - Engraved Cylinder
7.   LeMat Army Model Case Hardened Frame - Plain Cylinder - Very Rare

Augusta Confederate
Replica Revolvers marketed as Augusta Confederate, mainly by Uberti in around 1982, were more
accurately Colt Model 1851 Navy with Brass Frame and engraved cylinders.  These
Replicas made by Uberti are rare.  Uberti produced mainly the Griswold & Gunnison with
a brass frame.  The Augusta Armory originally did not produce brass frame revolvers.
They only produced a copy of the steel frame 1851 Navy, octagon barrel browned finish,
with both 6 and 12 cylinder stops.  Another revolver produced in Augusta, Georgia was
the Rigdon-Ansley.  This revolver, similar to the Leech & Rigdon, had steel frame, six or twelve
cylinder stops, and a Dragoon style barrel.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:46:46 PM by drjldavis »

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting the Replica Confederate Revolvers.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
I see now that I've got a whole lot more C&Bs to add to my want list.  I guess I better get a bigger gun safe.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline kBob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
Who made the "High Standard" Griswald & Gunnison and the Leech & Rigdon and was there actually any differences in the guns other than the markings?

-kBob

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »
The High Standard black powder revolvers were a tribute to the Confederate States firarms.  They use Uberti parts the same as Colt.  They were assembled, fitted, and finished at High Standard.  They are of exceptional quality.  The Leech & Rigdon can be found with both a brushed silver finish and polished in white on the frame.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »
Congrats on your winning the auction for the Sheriff's model GU Leech and Rigdon Jim!!   :'(  I was hoping you didn't see it and I could snatch it up.  You need to change your list now that one has popped up and you've added it to your collection.  At least I got the pictures.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:26:38 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
Re: Collecting the Replica Confederate Revolvers. Leech & Rigdon Sheriff
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »
I just edited the original posting here to reflect the fact that a Leech & Rigdon Sheriff model has just been acquired for the RPRCA collection.  As a bonus it is a very early production with the "GU" initials.  This is the first and only one of these that I have seen or heard of in the last 18yrs.  The Leech & Rigdon Sheriff Model is no longer a myth.

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Wild West USA Mojave Desert
    • View Profile
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 03:38:06 AM »
Drjldavis ... could you tell me if it correct that ASP, ASM, and Pietta were the Italin Mfg. of the Leech & Rigdon .36 brass frame round barrel Colt Copy Reb Replica or were there others that came with no markings but a Proof stamp? Maybe a Kit Gun?
Have a friend with one and des not know the Mfg. of it. Was just wondering if you could shed some light on it.
Thanks,
SG
"I Smoke Black Powder" "Prefer an 1858 NMA Remington .44"
SGT. 43rd BN Virginia Cavalry CSA, Mosby's Rangers

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »
The only Leech & Rigdon manufacturers that I have observed are Uberti, Pietta, and High Standard.  Other markings that I have seen are Navy Arms (by Uberti and Pietta) and Cimarron (by Uberti).  I have never heard of Leech & Rigdon by ASP or ASM.  However, this does not mean that they may have also manufactured the Leech & Rigdon, just that I have never run across these.  Who knows what may pop up tomorrow.  Also, if it is a kit it would be very rare, something to hold on to.  Kits, however, usually do not have proof marks.

Offline Smokin_Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:06:34 AM »
Thank you JL for the answer ... I have one other question and i'll ask it here and hope it's ok . If not I'll move it.

My Friend Murph is looking at a Reproduction Paterson...he does not know if it's a Uberti or Pietta or? ... as it is a belt pistol and has a loading lever attached my guess is that it's a Uberti (good find)
Here's what he said are all the markings on it ...

"Top of Barrel - Dixie Gun Works Union City TN, Made In Italy

Bottom of Barrel - Cal. 36 Black Powder Only - Made in Italy.

Frame Bottom - Serial Number 818. Also, star over PN and the letters BB enclosed in a rectangle."

If you can help him on this one it would be a personal favor to me ... as I'd surely like to see him get something good that he'll wanna keep. You if anyone can pull a rabbit out of the Kepi on this one I am certain... :O)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:25:59 AM by Smokin_Gun »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• View Profile
    • FRiends Of the Centaure Society (FROCS)
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:50:29 AM »
If memory serves I seem to recall that Pietta does not make Patersons with loading levers.
Since Uberti jumped on that Paterson bandwaggon only a few decades ago there should be their logo underneath the barrel, i. e. muzzle view with rifling and U...
Long Johns Wolf

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:59:02 AM »
If memory serves I seem to recall that Pietta does not make Patersons with loading levers.

Uberti made loading lever Patersons, Pietta didn't. 

Offline Smokin_Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 11:40:56 AM »
Thanks Fingers ... If Murph changes his mind I may get it...gonna call him today... If I can't swing it and Murph don't get it I'll let you know in case you are interested...
Thanks bud...

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »
Smokin_Gun,

Looks like you got your answer.  I might remark also that the Dixie Gun Works on the barrel adds value.  This is probably one of the last Uberti shipments (1992) that marked the importer's name on the barrel.  I just sold a NIB Uberti Paterson with loading lever, Charcoal Blue finish for $625.  It was not on the internet one day before it sold.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 10:59:58 PM »
Thanks Fingers ... If Murph changes his mind I may get it...gonna call him today... If I can't swing it and Murph don't get it I'll let you know in case you are interested...
Thanks bud...

Appreciate the thought SG; but I don't need another one - yeah I know, what does need have to do with it??  While mine doesnt have 'Dixie' on the barrel, it is a NIB Uberti Charcoal blue 4 digit serial numbered one with loading lever with a 1996 date code.   Guess from Dr Davis' post, that I could get a tidy sum for it; if I were so inclined.  I didn't pay near what that one brought.

Offline Smokin_Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:47 AM »
Thanks Guys I appreciate the help ... that's one of the best things about these forums. Whether we've been around since Moses put two of every BP Gun on the Arc or all the good Pards we have just met someone will step up when there's a question.
Dang I love this stuff...

SG
BP Shootist Collector Lifer :O)