Shop the Cabela's Bargain Cave - Save up to 70%!

Author Topic: Baby Dragoon  (Read 5925 times)

Offline jlb43

• View Profile
Baby Dragoon
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »
I just picked this up a few days ago and have been contemplating whether or not to "antique" it.  Hopkins & Allen was a firearms firm that went under in the early 1900's and this one is dated coded AD so it is a reproduction for sure.  ASM I think.  I have another Baby from Replica Arms in a cased set for display so thought this one might be a good candidate for some "customizin".  I am thinking of maybe returning it to the "white".  {+_

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:56:26 AM by jlb43 »

Offline Smokey

• Domain Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Smoke has no form, it simply is.
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
Re: Baby Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »
Nice looking piece you have there., jib. Code AD indicates it is a 1993 production.

I am a big fan of the white steel also. If you do decide to go white, the best and cheapest way to achieve this is to soak the parts in white vinegar and let the parts air dry when removed. Then card the crud off with 000 steel wool.
For a Complete Directory of Black Powder Specialty Forums, Please Visit BlackPowderSmoke.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
Nice looking piece you have there., jib. Code AD indicates it is a 1993 production.

I don't know what list you're looking at SMokey; but AD is 1978.  BC is 1993

And, the wedge is in upside down.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline jlb43

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:18:41 PM »
 I am a big fan of the white steel also. If you do decide to go white, the best and cheapest way to achieve this is to soak the parts in white vinegar and let the parts air dry when removed. Then card the crud off with 000 steel wool.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip Smokey.  The wife is going to pick me up a gallon of vinegar today.  Do you protect the cylinder bores or soak them too?   ???

I flipped the wedge Fingers.   ^")

Offline Smokey

• Domain Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Smoke has no form, it simply is.
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
No need to protect the bore, just clean it well.

Fingers, I was having a nice brain fart, looking at the chart columns wrong.  IMHO,  ASM quality was higher  in 1978
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:35:28 PM by Smokey »
For a Complete Directory of Black Powder Specialty Forums, Please Visit BlackPowderSmoke.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:47 PM »
No need to protect the bore, just clean it well.

Fingers, I was having a nice brain fart, looking at the chart columns wrong.  IMHO,  ASM quality was higher  in 1978

I kinda figured that.  Happens to me from time to time as well.  Of all the things I've lost, I miss mymind the most.  _?/

You're right about the ASM quality.  It didn't start to fall off till the early 90s about the same time that the Sig Series guns went belly up.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »
Nice Baby D there. I have one that's almost a visual twin to it, but it's got some 'broke innards' at the moment that need working on. Good luck and hope to see a follow-up!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
    • Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »
I have not been on the forums for quite a while but just happened to catch this posting.  jlb43 I just hope you have not done anything to your Hopkins & Allen Baby Dragoon.  You have a very, very rare marking with the Hopkins & Allen.  I have only been aware(never seen except pictures) of one other Hopkins & Allen marked revolver in 20yrs of research. 

It was made by Armi San Marco.  ASM was the only manufacturer of the small framed Dragoons and Pocket Models until the late 1970's-early 1980's.  Another way to identify the ASM and Uberti small frame revolvers is that the ASM uses the short frame version with rectangular cylinder stops and Uberti uses the long frame version with oval cylinder stops.  Your revolver is the short frame with rectangular cylinder stops.

I try to keep track of prices on the more collectable revolvers and am being really nosey, but what did you pay for this revolver?  I would be trying to buy this if it hasn't been messed up, even if it has been altered, except that at 80yrs old I am now trying to reduce the size of the RPRCA collection rather than increase it.  This would be a welcome addition to that collcection.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 06:55:11 PM »
Hey Jim.  Good to see you back on the forums.  Hope you're doing well

Ken

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 07:13:59 PM »
JLB43

What did you do with this piece?

Terry Jack
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!