Author Topic: Am I the "Father" of the modern replica "Schneider & Glassic" Revolver???  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Southron

• View Profile
Back in 1976 I was working for Euroarms of America and tasked with the job of writing and producing the company's first catalog. At the time, Euroarms produced a .44 caliber "Fantasy" revolver with a brass frame.

So, I did some research and as best as I can remember I found out about an obscure revolver maker in Memphis, Tenn (?) that might have made something similar to our Fantasy revolver.

Being a historian and a 'Dyed in the Wool' Southerner, I put the revolver in our catalog under the name of a "rare" Schneider & Glassic revolver replica.

Next thing I knew, those "rare" revolvers were selling fairly well. Guess everyone wanted a copy of that Confederate revolver that might or might not have existed!!!

Geeze...who would have ever thought that would happen!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Well, I made my own copy from a Navy brasser that happened to have an un-engraved cylinder. Sweet looking gun!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Well, the Schneider & Glassick was a .36 caliber brass framed copy of a Colt 1851 Navy; not .44.  Italian replica makers were producing Schneider & Glassick copies in the '60s (GLB, PR & I believe COM).
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well, the Schneider & Glassick was a .36 caliber brass framed copy of a Colt 1851 Navy; not .44.  Italian replica makers were producing Schneider & Glassick copies in the '60s (GLB, PR & I believe COM).

Fingers, mine is a .36 made by ASM. There is a link to it on this forum:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,221.0.html

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dang, I completely forgot about ASM making them too.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dang, I completely forgot about ASM making them too.

Yeah, there's probably a bunch out there we don't even know about?

Offline Henry Moon

• View Profile
I was going to college in Alabama on the GI Bill in 1976 and money was really tight. I quit smoking so I could afford to shoot. A Dixie Gunworks brass frame 1851 kit, (which I called a "Schneider & Glassic") was all I could buy at time. I got my lead from digging out the backstop where the local Police and Sheriff's departments would go shooting. Tough times back then.