Shop the Cabela's Bargain Cave - Save up to 70%!

Author Topic: My old new Army  (Read 977 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
My old new Army
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:49:03 PM »
Some of you may remember, a while back I purchased an Armi San Paolo (ASP) Colt Army from Tom-ADC on this very forum (thanks, Tom!  ;) ) While this gun was well-used and Tom never shot it, it does have some issues, but being as it's a twin to my other ASP Army, I couldn't resist.
I've been mulling over what to do with it for some time now....do a gated Kirst, a Howell drop-in, or just repair it to shooting order as a BP revolver?
With the pricing and difficulty in getting Cowboy ammo and components, I've decided (finally) to keep it BP, as is...with one twist. Rather than fix it myself, I've decided to send it on to our own Mike Brackett (.45 Dragoon) for a full 'Goonerizing' and fine tuning, and report back to you fine folks with the results. There will be before and after pix, (and hopefully some in-progress pix from Mike) and a shooting and eval after I get it back. Sorry, no pre-mod shooting eval as I don't really think it's in good enough condition to shoot as-is with the excess cylinder gap and loose barrel.
Pictures and details to follow.......
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:06:57 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My old new Army
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:49:49 PM »
Here are some pix of the gun taken on receipt from Tom...

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My old new Army
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 11:51:05 PM »
So....it's HERE! &\?

I haven't had time to really explore all that Mike did, but I can tell you this: This ain't your father's Oldsmobile! At least, not the one I sent him!
This is like a totally different gun, action-wise and tightness-wise. The lockup and crisp action are far from your typical Italian import. We had a discussion regarding the lug lock mod, and I had Mike replace what sounded like a fairly ugly knurled thumbscrew with a hardly noticeable Allen setscrew. You have to look to see it. The gun itself still needs some fit and trim work on the brass and wood fitment,  but that has nothing to do with Mike; I knew that before I sent it to him for the mods. I can barely, just barely, see light through the cylinder gap. The trigger is crisp with zero creep, Lockup is tight as a Swiss vault, the cap post is imperceptible with the hammer down, and in full-cock it looks very professional. Oh...and the barrel no longer 'wobbles'. In short, this is absolutely NOT the same gun I sent him. Night and day difference, fellers.
I will do a much more in-depth write-up later, including lots of photos, but suffice it to say I am extremely pleased with the end product. The man knows his stuff.
I also intend (as promised) to do a side-by-side comparo with my other ASP Army, this gun's 'twin'. That may or may not happen this season (might have to wait until next summer for that one) but it will, as promised, happen.
The Captain is one Happy Camper! ;)