Shop the Cabela's Bargain Cave - Save up to 70%!

Poll

(In your humble opinion) Who makes the best quality 1851 Navy?

Second Gen Colt
2 (40%)
Uberti
0 (0%)
Pietta
2 (40%)
ASM
0 (0%)
ASP
1 (20%)
Other (please specify!)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Who makes the best quality 1851 Navy?  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Who makes the best quality 1851 Navy?
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
Hi, gents. Thinking about another 1851 Navy, steel in .36 cal. Doesn't have to be new by any means, but looking for the best quality for the buck. I'm not looking to spend much over 3 bills and don't care about fancy accessories..it will be a shooter. I've already owned my share of so-so repops and want to start with a good quality product and shooter to begin with. Very interested in your opinions and reasons.
Thanks!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Who makes the best quality 1851 Navy?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:31:35 PM »
In other words...if you say "Hey Captain-I just bought a brand-new Pietta (or Uberti)  and it's far better than any of the 2nd gens" or "Hey Captain-I have a 1968 Navy Arms that beats any of the new stuff" I'll have something to go on in my search.

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:08:06 AM »
By "1851 Navy", I assume you mean the real thing, or at least something as true to it as possible for a replica, ie no round barrel and no brass frame.
Not being a shooter myself, I can't tell anything about the pros and cons of this brand or that brand as a shooter. All I can say (and you know it already anyway) is get something for which you will get spare parts easy. That gets Colt, ASM and ASP out of the picture, and all of the other vanished brands with them, leaving only Pietta and Uberti for a choice.
Regarding Pietta and Uberti, if they both need tuning before you can shoot them, then I'd say it's up to your own taste and budget...
Now, that was helpful, wasn't it ?... :-[

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »
IMNSHO, My preference runs to:

1st - Uberti
2nd - 2nd Gen
3rd - Pietta
4th - Pre 1990 ASM
5th - ASP
6th - All others
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »

1st - Uberti
2nd - 2nd Gen
3rd - Pietta
4th - Pre 1990 ASM
5th - ASP
6th - All others
So you prefer Uberti over a 2nd gen? Interesting.......

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:59:13 PM »
By "1851 Navy", I assume you mean the real thing, or at least something as true to it as possible for a replica, ie no round barrel and no brass frame.

Correct.
Standard length octagonal barrel, steel frame navy. It could have squareback TG but needs to resemble one of Col. Sam's originals, at least in profile.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »
Just a noob here, but I would recommend a new Pietta for these reasons:

1. They are less expensive than a Uberti from any source and I think the newer ones are on a par with Uberti quality.

2. The Pietta 1851 Navy can be had with a round (or squareback: DGW) TG, and the parts easily interchange with the G&G, which allows for many variations. Very recently, I have seen a photo of a 2015 Pietta 1851 Navy without the tail, right out of the box (with the box) on some forum, just like my 2015 G&G.

3. According to Mike (Goon), the Pietta has the correct arbor/barrel lug fit whereas the Uberti has a short arbor, necessitating a trip to Mike's or home-smithing to correct that problem.

4. Parts availability for a Pietta is much better than Uberti for the 1851, whether it be Taylor's (Ashley Loy is a gem) or VTI.

5. I agree with Ringo that all of the older replicas (ASM, ASP, Palmetto, Navy Arms, et al) are out of the question because of the non-availability of parts (unless you are a masochist and insist upon beating yourself to the bone).

6. I had a timing issue with my Pietta 1851 Navy [CM] when I first received it, but it was easily corrected thanks to the knowledge of the fine folks on this forum (and others). My G&G [CN] has no such issues.

7. The Pietta gorilla is still employed as of 2015 as the G&G wedge was very well seated and I spent about an hour sanding the side of the wedge/checking fit/cold blueing. I had to do the same with my 1851 Navy in order to get the lip of the wedge spring to protrude affirmatively from the right side of the barrel.

Insofar as the shape of the backstrap/triggerguard/wood, I believe Ringo commented on another thread about the photos in Nathan Swayze's " '51 Colt Navies" showing varying shapes of such assemblies. As I have in possession that treatise, I must concur.

Here is a comparison of the two grip styles. Notice the differences in the trigger guard frontstrap curve, the backstrap curve, and the thickness of the wrist as concerns the wood.

So, I guess you know where my interests lie.

Just my $.02 worth.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:43:21 PM by sourdough »

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 11:58:58 PM »

1st - Uberti
2nd - 2nd Gen
3rd - Pietta
4th - Pre 1990 ASM
5th - ASP
6th - All others
So you prefer Uberti over a 2nd gen? Interesting.......

1 & 2 are pretty much a toss up.  My SASS match guns are 2nd Gens with the Ubertis as backups.  You can buy new Uberti's anywhere for a decent price.  2nd Gens are a little pricey and have limited availability. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:13:28 AM »
1 & 2 are pretty much a toss up.  My SASS match guns are 2nd Gens with the Ubertis as backups.  You can buy new Uberti's anywhere for a decent price.  2nd Gens are a little pricey and have limited availability.
Have you experienced the short arbor issues Goon keeps preaching about?

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:58:51 PM »
Have you experienced the short arbor issues Goon keeps preaching about?

Yes.  He 'fixed' my '61 Navies. 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 01:12:29 PM »
Jim, I like that lower Navy with the squareback.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
Thanks, me too. I created it from a Cabela's pistol with round TG, a Pietta squareback TG from Taylor's, and better figured wood from a seller on Ebay, so I have at least $250 into the pistol.

This is the only new 1851 Navy squareback I have found being offered on the market today:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=14047

It does have the tail, however, and is curiously labeled as the "Navy Yank London" as it has brass fittings (as opposed to blued fittings) and the SB TG.

If you do consider ordering one, I would (if I was in your boots) inquire about the date code.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:48:05 PM by sourdough »

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 10:01:57 PM »

1st - Uberti
2nd - 2nd Gen
3rd - Pietta
4th - Pre 1990 ASM
5th - ASP
6th - All others

Switch first and second and you have my likes also...

Bill

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »
I’m prejudiced in favor of Pietta since that’s what I own (there are worse reasons for bias).  They come at a workin man’s price with inexpensive and readily available replacement parts.  I have returned several new ones for an exchange but when you get a good one it’s a good one.  After a little internal stoning and sanding they work as good as I can shoot. 

I suppose you could say that I collect and shoot non-collectables and with my push-cart mentality Pietta seems a real value.