Shop the Cabela's Bargain Cave - Save up to 70%!

Author Topic: 1849 Pocket  (Read 1916 times)

Offline r010159

• View Profile
1849 Pocket
« on: April 24, 2016, 11:54:10 PM »
Hello all,

Here is my newest purchase, a 1849 Pocket that was made in 1868. It is in unusually good condition, at least NRA Fine condition. However, I think it has been cold blued in order to tone it up for the bluing to even out and become darker. What do you guys think?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: 1849 Pocket
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:33:12 PM »
Can't say for sure by looking, but cold bluing has a very distinctive odor that lasts for decades. Use your nose.
Also, it is fairly easy to polish off using a swatch of blue jeans material as a polishing rag.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline r010159

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 06:32:38 PM »
My long time old trusty antique firearms dealer tells me it is completely original. It was covered with a thin layer of grease. I removed the grease with mineral spirits and rubbed the piece with a towel for a short period of time. Then I smelled the gun to find no obnoxious odor. The dealer was surprised as to its unusually fine condition.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »
That's really great news! That one is a keeper for sure.
For future reference, if you know someone with a cold blued firearm, see what it smells like. It doesn't smell bad, it's just very distinctive.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »
For future reference, if you know someone with a cold blued firearm, see what it smells like. It doesn't smell bad, it's just very distinctive.

Just out of curiosity, since there are currently several cold-blue solutions/crèmes on the market, do they all smell the same, either wet or cured? Would they not become somewhat "inert" over time? What if the large part (barrel, frame, etc.) was cold -blued with several coats, then oiled with one of several gun oils (or motor oil, for that matter) for days/weeks and then coated with, say, Hoppe's #9?

I would say that dog won't hunt.

Here's an interesting comparison post on a different forum:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-projects-techniques/390731-evaluation-several-cold-bluing-products-w-pics.html

And, being an old fart, I know there have been many more previous brands from many years ago. Think Herter's of Waseca Minnesota for one.

Just asking the Q's. Looking for the A's.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:55:23 PM by sourdough »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 12:06:37 AM »
Well, Jim...
I blued an old Stevens .22 back in the early 70's using Birchwood Casey cold bluing. It still smells the same today even after wearing thin and going through dozens of oilings and cleanings. I blued several BP revolvers recently using Oxpho Blue. Same smell, different products (and different decades)
Can't speak for all cold bluing products, but that's two for sure. I believe it's one of the main chemicals, can't say which one.                                 

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »
Well, Jim...
I blued an old Stevens .22 back in the early 70's using Birchwood Casey cold bluing. It still smells the same today even after wearing thin and going through dozens of oilings and cleanings. I blued several BP revolvers recently using Oxpho Blue. Same smell, different products (and different decades)
Can't speak for all cold bluing products, but that's two for sure. I believe it's one of the main chemicals, can't say which one.                               

I guess my olfactory senses aren't very good.

I'll defer someone with a better nose.  ;D

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »
One Word.  SA-WEEET

I'm drooling and officially jealous
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline hawkeye2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »
Very nice!