Author Topic: Handguns of the Confederacy  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Handguns of the Confederacy
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:16:34 PM »
A while back I posted a photo of Confederate revolvers that did not include all models - cause I didn't have them all.  Now I do.  Here are the handguns used by the Confederacy that have had reproductions made:

Counter Clockwise from the top:
Griswold and Gunnison sheriffs model ( Uberti)
Tucker & Sherrard (Uberti)
Spiller & Burr (Pietta
Schneider & Glassick(Pietta)
Leech and Rigdon (Uberti)
Rigdon & Ansley Augusta (Uberti)
Navy LeMat (Pietta)
Griswold & Gunnison
J.H. Dance (Pietta)

Center:
Leech & Rigdon Sheriffs model (Pietta)

The Tucker & Sherrard, LeMat, and J.H.Dance are .44 caliber.  All others are .36

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:08:34 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline mike116

• View Profile
Re: Handguns of the Confederacy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:06:41 PM »
Great photo Fingers.    Congratulations on completing the set.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 10:56:02 PM »
Thanks Mike
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 06:28:17 PM »
Very nice!

Great job displaying them

Terry

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »
That's a pretty awesome family photo, Fingers! Great find on that Tucker and Sherrard.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 12:23:17 PM »
That's a pretty awesome family photo, Fingers! Great find on that Tucker and Sherrard.

Thanks Cap. 

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 02:56:56 PM »
Here, from my collection, are the most produced revolvers by the Confederacy:

Top to bottom, Griswold & Gunnison by Pietta, (approx. 3,700); Leech & Rigdon by Uberti, (approx. 2,500 incl Rigdon & Ansley); Spiller & Burr by Pietta, (approx. 1,400); J. H. Dance & Bros by Pietta, (approx. 364 plus 136 .36 cal.)

Source:  Confederate Revolvers, by William A. Gary, K8 Communications, 1987.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »
Beautiful! They look unfired.

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 09:57:58 AM »
The Griswold & Gunnison is the only one I have shot so far.  The rest are waiting their turn!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »
The Griswold & Gunnison is the only one I have shot so far.  The rest are waiting their turn!
Not to be nitpicky, but didn't the L&R originals have extra stop notches on the cylinder between battery positions?

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 01:06:51 PM »
Not to be nitpicky, but didn't the L&R originals have extra stop notches on the cylinder between battery positions?

No.  The Rigdon and Ansley Augusta models were the ones with 12 bolt stops.  They were made in the 1863/64 time frame when the factory moved from MS to GA

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 03:03:28 PM »

No.  The Rigdon and Ansley Augusta models were the ones with 12 bolt stops.  They were made in the 1863/64 time frame when the factory moved from MS to GA
Thank you for that clarification, Fingers!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »
Here, from my collection, are the most produced revolvers by the Confederacy:

Top to bottom, Griswold & Gunnison by Pietta, (approx. 3,700); Leech & Rigdon by Uberti, (approx. 2,500 incl Rigdon & Ansley); Spiller & Burr by Pietta, (approx. 1,400); J. H. Dance & Bros by Pietta, (approx. 364 plus 136 .36 cal.)

Source:  Confederate Revolvers, by William A. Gary, K8 Communications, 1987.

The J. H. Dance is my next project. If it is a Pietta, I am only aware of their Dance produced as a .44 with a non-rebated (straight) cylinder/non-cut water table.

Is yours a .44? I want a Dance in .36 for my mix/match 1851 Navy collection and I think, with a bit of work, a Dance .44 in that configuration will work with a Pietta Navy .36 cylinder and barrel, as all are CNC machined these days, and I cannot imagine Pietta creating a special Dance frame, as above.

Any help appreciated, sir.

Jim

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 10:37:20 PM »
Jim, my Dance is a .44.  I have tried a barrel and cylinder from a Griswold & Gunnison, and while they fit, the G & G cylinder is slightly smaller than the Dance.  As a result, the bolt doesn't rise far enough to securely lock the cylinder in battery. 
TC

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
Jim, my Dance is a .44.  I have tried a barrel and cylinder from a Griswold & Gunnison, and while they fit, the G & G cylinder is slightly smaller than the Dance.  As a result, the bolt doesn't rise far enough to securely lock the cylinder in battery. 
TC

Thank you, sir! I guess I'll rethink my pipe dream.

As an afterthought, have you tried to fit the .44 Dance cylinder/barrel to a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 frame? If so, does the cylinder drag on the frame water table or bolt? If not, that is a plus, and I may proceed.

If so, I need go no further.

Sorry for all of the questions, sir.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:52:54 PM by sourdough »