Author Topic: new member - hi  (Read 377 times)

Offline bladesmith

• View Profile
new member - hi
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »
New here. I just bought a Remington revolving rifle from GunBroker - still waiting to get it. For about 20 years I shot pistol in the 70 and 80's at the NMLRA national range.
My own flint single shot, a Jack Lewis percussion single shot, and a Lyman and a Witole Remington revolvers. The Lyman was for the " as issue " event, the Witole for the regular revolver events. I got out of pistol shooting and sold all my MLing pistols - kind of sorry I did now. I also used to shoot SASS and had a couple of 1875 Outlaws. Also sold them. Now the one I wish I had never sold was a original 44 cal Remington Army. Anyways, I'm kind of getting back into Remington pistols. Two years ago I picked up a new 12" barrel brass framed 44 Remington, and now the rifle. I belong to the Remington Society, and have four modern Remington pistols, a model 12 [22 cal Rem pump], and nine Remington SxS shotguns along with a model 10, 31, and 870 Remington pump shotguns. All the years I shot at Friendship it was 20grs at the 25yd line, and 28 at the 50 yd line. For some reason I always thought only about 34grs would fit in the cylinder. Now I found this forum and learn something new right away - some of you guys are shooting with 40 grains. I've shot deer with my home made 50 cal copy of a Jack Lewis pistol and was always afraid to try the Remington. I might of tried it if I would have know that much powder could fit in a cylinder. That would be like a 44/40, but with a round ball. Don't remember who, but one of you had a post with some real nice Remington revolvers. I'll try to check here often, I run the shotgun program at my local club where I put on a SxS Shoot every year, so I'm usually on some shotgun forums. Be nice to branch out a little. Paul
Remington nut

Offline Smokey

• Domain Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Smoke has no form, it simply is.
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
Re: new member - hi
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:01:32 PM »
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forum!!   :)
For a Complete Directory of Black Powder Specialty Forums, Please Visit BlackPowderSmoke.com

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:16:13 PM »
Paul,

Welcome aboard. Hope  you stop in often and post a bit too!

tljack
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!

Offline bladesmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 05:18:58 PM »
Can anyone tell me why it makes a difference who makes the revolver when ordering a 45 long colt cylinder. Aren't they all the same ?
Remington nut

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 11:33:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum Paul.

Unfortunately, no, they are not interchangeable.  Each Mfg has their own set of specs.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline bladesmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:56:28 PM »
Fingers, thanks. Must be the distance from the barrel to the back of the frame.
Remington nut

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:02 AM »
Welcome Paul! Glad you've joined us!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"