Shop the Cabela's Bargain Cave - Save up to 70%!

Author Topic: I Really Scored Today at the Gunshow!  (Read 397 times)

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Re: I Really Scored Today at the Gunshow!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »
Well, sir...I've picked up a thing or two since my first BP revolver purchased back in the '80's. Much of it has been gleaned from forums such as this one and the members who haunt them. Unfortunately, the lion's share I've learned about BP revolvers has come from owning, disassembling, cleaning, and playing with them rather than shooting them, as there is only one range that allows BP shooting nearby and it costs $30.00 a day whether you shoot for 5 minutes or 5 hours. Oh, and it's closed from November to May. This makes my outings (and subsequent cleaning marathons) rather long and tedious affairs with a lot of space in between, but every time I go I feel it was well worth the effort and expense.
However, scarcely a day goes by that I don't find myself 'playing guns' with one or more of my collection. That much is free and can be accomplished while watching TV or any other inside activity. I find it very important to handle the merchandise whether shooting or not, as much as humanly possible. Our forebears did. Perhaps that's why shooting and gun handling came so natural to them.

I have found something I have out done you with!   (j*  I started shooting BP and BP revolvers in the 70's  :P
All kidding aside, I really appreciate you sharing the knowledge you have with the rest of us.
It is too bad your shooting times are so limited. I am fortunate that We have a very nice range nearby that is open year round. I was there today and boy is the snow ever piled up high from plowing. The best part is annual dues are $60 a year and if one signs up at the annual Christmas party dinner, it is only $45! The church my wife and I attend is a Cowboy church. We have 60 acres and a BP shooting range with permanent gongs on the property!

I will continue learning as much as I can. Again you are a terrific source! Keep sharing. I will make it a point to take your advice on working my guns over more.

Thanks much

Terry
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 07:05:57 PM »
You've probably outdone me in many things, Terry. I don't claim to be an expert at any of this; in fact, there are probably guys half my age that have way more 'smoke-time' than I do. The only thing I can claim is that I've been passionate about BP guns, and revolvers especially, since I was 9 years old and borrowed a book on the history of the gun from a friend. The minute I saw a photo of a Colt's Dragoon I was smitten and knew I had to own one of those "cap and ball" revolvers someday. I now have three Dragoons and a bunch more C&B revolvers...and I've bought and sold probably ten or more additional. Something about these guns intrigues me something crazy, dunno what it is but if it itches, scratch it...right? ;)
I guess maybe it comes of growing up in the "cowboy culture" of the 1960's and falling asleep with a cap gun in my fist...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:06:51 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »
You've probably outdone me in many things, Terry. I don't claim to be an expert at any of this; in fact, there are probably guys half my age that have way more 'smoke-time' than I do. The only thing I can claim is that I've been passionate about BP guns, and revolvers especially, since I was 9 years old and borrowed a book on the history of the gun from a friend. The minute I saw a photo of a Colt's Dragoon I was smitten and knew I had to own one of those "cap and ball" revolvers someday. I now have three Dragoons and a bunch more C&B revolvers...and I've bought and sold probably ten or more additional. Something about these guns intrigues me something crazy, dunno what it is but if it itches, scratch it...right? ;)
I guess maybe it comes of growing up in the "cowboy culture" of the 1960's and falling asleep with a cap gun in my fist...

Seems like you and I may be 2 peas in a pod. Like you, since I first shot a C&B I too was smitten. Love these "tools". Got another one today. See my post in Remington on this forum.
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!