Shop the Cabela's Bargain Cave - Save up to 70%!

Author Topic: Scored another C&B today  (Read 353 times)

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Scored another C&B today
« on: March 10, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »

I was at my shooting buddy's place this morning. I shot the new to me Colt London, and he shot a Remington 1858 his Godfather gave him when his dad passed. Both of the two older gents were BP nuts. The Godfather made many BP firearms for the silver screen.

Anyway, after a bit of shooting in his shop. I commented my gun was getting gummy. My friend started to disassemble his and began cleaning it.  I asked him why he was going to so much trouble cleaning the gun up just to shoot it again. He said he was all done for the day. He handed me the gun and said, "It is yours".
I learned a long time ago not to argue with him, just be gracious. He said he was told the gun was new when given to him. Today is the first time he has shoot it.

It is a Spanish made 1858 Army revolver and it shoots really good.
Under the barrel it says, "E.N. Santa Barbara, Spain. This is Empressa Naconal. According to info I found on an old website post, Jim Davis said this company was the primary manufacture of the Spanish military firearms. he also said it is very high quality, possibly better than the Italian arms of the time.
I located the serial number on the left side of the frame under the grips. It is 008**. Both grips are stamped in the wood with 8**.
On the left side of the barrel near the frame it says, "Cal 44". Opposite this on the other side is a proof mark. There is an identical proof mark on the cylinder and another on right side of the frame just above the trigger. According to the NRA proof mark chart, these are " the final poof for BP revolver"  There is an additional mark I can not really make out.

Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
Re: Scored another C&B today
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 02:25:42 PM »
The Godfather made many BP firearms for the silver screen.

That is very interesting! Can you elaborate a bit?

Jim

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
I will have to ask him about this. He said he made some for the Patriot and Last of the Mohicans. I will find out more and get his name.
My friend has a number of the flintlock he made and they are gorgeous!

Terry

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:01:29 PM »
Terry, the Santa Barbara is one of the finest Remington replicas made. The late Smokin' Gun had two, I believe. Others who own them comment on how well-made and tough they are, as well as darn good shooters. Think of them as the Centaures of Remingtons, if you will...
You are very fortunate to own one of these. I've watched a few SB's on the auction sites; all ended well outside of my tax bracket.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Terry, the Santa Barbara is one of the finest Remington replicas made. The late Smokin' Gun had two, I believe. Others who own them comment on how well-made and tough they are, as well as darn good shooters. Think of them as the Centaures of Remingtons, if you will...
You are very fortunate to own one of these. I've watched a few SB's on the auction sites; all ended well outside of my tax bracket.

I read an old post on another forum by Dr. Davis that they are really a good gun. I am not interested in selling it but can you give me an idea what they went for.

The reason I as is because I have a written inventory of all my guns. I try to keep it with updated values so if I die my wife will not get taken to the cleaners if she sells.

Terry

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:08:59 PM »

I read an old post on another forum by Dr. Davis that they are really a good gun. I am not interested in selling it but can you give me an idea what they went for.

The reason I as is because I have a written inventory of all my guns. I try to keep it with updated values so if I die my wife will not get taken to the cleaners if she sells.

Terry

Terry, IIRC they all sold at or above $750.00. I would not take that as a hard figure though. You know how gun auctions go...sometimes frenzy drives the price higher and other times non-interest will force it to go to a low bidder.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
Personally, I think I would value a SB between $350.00 and $550.00 depending on condition...certainly higher than a comparable Uberti and possibly up there with a Hege.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
Personally, I think I would value a SB between $350.00 and $550.00 depending on condition...certainly higher than a comparable Uberti and possibly up there with a Hege.

This revolver is almost like new. Only a very slight drag line on cylinder. Grips perfect, a very slight possibility it has been in a holster once or twice.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »
Probably a value on the high side. Check with Fingers McGee on his opinion. The light drag line is your bolt going into battery too early. Fix it before it becomes a heavy drag line

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 04:36:55 PM »
Terry, that is an easy fix. If the bolt securely locks into the cylinder stops, and you have the revolver apart, you only need to carefully remove a bit of metal from the top of the bolt so as it does not drag on the cylinder. If the bolt drops before the cylinder approaches, that is a timing issue and will readily show as a "scar" on the cylinder ahead of the approaches. Been there, done that on one of my favorite Pietta 1851 Navies.

Jim

Offline bladesmith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »
I also completely disassemble and clean every part my NMA's after shooting for the day. I know some guys don't, but I don't believe in leaving any BP fouling on the internal parts. I shot pistol at Friendship for 20 years and each day we'd sit around hot buckets of water cleaning our guns just to shoot them the next day. At the end of the shoot they'd get cleaned and oiled and there was never a problem with rust. 
Remington nut

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »
I started shooting BP revolvers in the 1970s. Often shoot weekly. I only disassemble my entire gun once a year and give it a good cleaning. I always keep them well lubricated and stay away from WD-40. That is not completely true as I use it on fishing lures.  ;) Have never to this day had any internal rust or corrosion. I have over 40 of them. NP

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 09:01:39 AM »
I started shooting BP revolvers in the 1970s. Often shoot weekly. I only disassemble my entire gun once a year and give it a good cleaning. I always keep them well lubricated and stay away from WD-40. That is not completely true as I use it on fishing lures.  ;) Have never to this day had any internal rust or corrosion. I have over 40 of them. NP
Sounds like I've got some catching up to do. I only have half as many...

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »

Sounds like I've got some catching up to do. I only have half as many...
[/quote]

No need to do that. There was a period in my life when I was blessed with extra cash and a craving to obtain as many as I could. I came to the realization that I was obsessed with them. I do not think being obsessed with anything is good. Our Lord being the exception.

Anyway, nowadays I just enjoy what I have and if I occasionally find something and have the cash, I will pick it up. Of course if I am so blessed to have someone give me one like the one that started this thread, I will not turn it down.   :)

I will also admit that I am on the look out for a inexpensive 1860 Colt that I can cut the barrel off and make it into a belly gun.  :P

Terry

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »
No need to do that. There was a period in my life when I was blessed with extra cash and a craving to obtain as many as I could. I came to the realization that I was obsessed with them. I do not think being obsessed with anything is good. Our Lord being the exception.

Amen to that! ^")