Shop the Cabela's Bargain Cave - Save up to 70%!

Author Topic: Can you help me ID this unmarked Navy 1851?  (Read 6921 times)

Niner19

Can you help me ID this unmarked Navy 1851?
« on: September 13, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »
A friend of mine has the pistol and I am trying to figure out.  On the cylinder is the naval battle scene, the "engaged 16 May 1843" and "Patent N.".  Between the studs on the front of the receiver is a very faint and small "5".  Other than that the gun is completely unmarked.  I have taken the gun apart and there are no other markings.  The cylinder is un-pinned and a 6 stop.  The curve of the hammer knurl and the front sight are unlike any replicas that I can find pictures of.  The barrel has unfinished milling marks on it.  Does anyone have any idea what manufacturer this might be?  Thanks.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me ID this unmarked Navy 1851?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »
Looks like a kit gun from the '60s or '70s.  Dixie, Navy Arms, and some others imported them and sold them for under $50.00. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Niner19

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:30:46 AM »
Looks like a kit gun from the '60s or '70s.  Dixie, Navy Arms, and some others imported them and sold them for under $50.00. 

Thank you for answering Fingers... I do have some questions though.

1.  What are the features that say "kit gun"?  I would like to really understand replica revolvers and how to identify them.

2.  Even if a kit gun, shouldn't there be at least proof marks or some other marks from the maker?  With the exceptions I listed, there are no marks at all.  No serial numbers, no maker, no proofs.. nada.  Was this common for kit guns in the 60's and 70's?

Thanks

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
Quote from: niner19
1.  What are the features that say "kit gun"?  I would like to really understand replica revolvers and how to identify them.  Oversized grips not trimmed to contours of BS/TG, milling marks on the barrel, barrel lug and frame dont mate up evenly, no safety pins on cylinder, metal parts appear to be patinated raw steel instead of being blued,  lack of serial number or other markings.
2.  Even if a kit gun, shouldn't there be at least proof marks or some other marks from the maker?  With the exceptions I listed, there are no marks at all.  No serial numbers, no maker, no proofs.. nada.  Was this common for kit guns in the 60's and 70's?  Early kit guns were really rough, requiring a lot of work.  IIRC, some had importers and maybe makers marks; but did not have serial numbers or proof marks.

FM
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:42:14 AM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Niner19

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:42:10 PM »
Thanks FM.... that is the info I needed.  It makes a lot of sense now that I look at it.  Thanks again.

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
    • Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:32:11 PM »
The "Kit" guns were simply all the unfinished parts necessary to assemble a gun.  A lot of the kits have no markings at all since the Italians did not require gun parts to go through the Proof Houses.  Yours is easy to identify by the unfinished mill marks on the barrel.  The absence of any other markings is also a way of identifying these Kits.  Yours is actually a replica Schneider & Glassick revolver and not an 1851 Navy.  The Schneider & Glassick is the brass frame Confederate copy of the Colt 1851 Navy.