Author Topic: Replica Arms 1966 Paterson marked MOFRA  (Read 4544 times)

Offline anderson827

• View Profile
Replica Arms 1966 Paterson marked MOFRA
« on: January 24, 2011, 02:15:59 PM »
I have a Paterson revolver with a 9" barrel and no loading lever. It's marked Replica Arms Inc. Marietta Ohio made in Italy. It's stamped with the code XXII and MOFRA. It has unusual 4 finger type nipples possibly like on the original Patersons. My problem is that it has a broken sear screw. I ordered a Paterson sear screw from Dixie but it's not threaded to fit my version of the Paterson 36 Cal. revolver. Where can I find the part? Is this gun valuable enough to try and have the part custom made?

Offline tomahawk

• View Profile
Re: Replica Arms 1966 Paterson marked MOFRA
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »
I don't know how valuable it is but the 9" barrel is uncommon, the  Marietta guns were amoung the earliest, if not the earliest, Italian imports. You should be able to take it to any machine shop and get a new screw made for a few bucks, its certainly worth that.
TOMAHAWK

Offline anderson827

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »
It's been fired quite a bit in past 45 years. I just want it to repair it and shoot it again.

Offline Rock Island

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:54:02 PM »
My Uberti Paterson has the same four finger type nipples, and I have yet to find a nipple wrench for it so it remains unfired.
If it shoots then I have it, am about to get it, want it, or plotting to get it

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• View Profile
    • FRiends Of the Centaure Society (FROCS)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 03:54:55 AM »
I have the same type Paterson replica with 9" barrel, but mine was made 1971 according to the date code. Serial number is 198. She features the mark of then German importer HEGE and the double diamond manufacturer mark  under the barrel. Mine also has these 4 finger type nipples in the installed and the second extra cylinder that came with the pistol.
I believe this double diamond mark is an early mark of Pietta because back then Pietta allegedly was the only maker of Paterson replicas.
If the US Pietta importer cannot help you with the screw I would check with VTI. If that does not work every tool shop should be able to make you a replacement screw. It's fun loading these babies with the old loading tool and shooting these Patersons with their funny drop-down trigger. At a recent gun show over here two cased sets of these early Patersons with extra cylinder and all accessories were offered at € 600,00 which equals ca. $ 810.00.
Jim Davis from RPRCA might chime in and comment about the collectors' value of your very early Paterson replica in the USA.

Long Johns Wolf

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
    • Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
I realize this thread has departed from the original question that was posted but as usual threads seem to have a mind of their own as one question always leads to a dozen more. 

I posted this information on the other Forum.  I still have not been able to positively identify the Double Diamond or the Mofra markings.  It has been discovered that there were numerous small “mom and pop” shops in the Brescia Italy.  In the beginning of Uberti in around 1958, Navy Arms was their sole Distributor.  Replica Arms started in around 1962-63.  The big frame revolvers (Walkers, Dragoons, etc.) and the small frame revolvers (Baby Dragoons, Pocket Models, etc.) were manufactured by Armi San Marco.  The Patersons appeared in the mid 1960’s with the markings of Mofra and the Double Diamond.  The first Pietta marked Paterson in the RPRCA collection is 1969.  It is new in the box made for Navy Arms with the only 7 ½” barrel observed by manufactured by Pietta.  Most all Pietta’s have 9” barrels without loading lever.  The only 7 ½” barrel Paterson with a loading lever was made by Uberti.  Uberti started making the Paterson in 1988

RPRCA has fifteen Paterson revolvers in it’s collection with the earliest date of 1967.  David’s Paterson is 1966 which helps date the advent of the production of the replica Paterson.  It is interesting that the Mofra marking has only been observed on the barrels of Paterson revolvers.  The Double Diamond started in around 1970 and the Mofra markings disappeared.  This information is based on observations of the 950 revolvers in the RPRCA collection.  The Double Diamond appears on other model replica revolvers into the late 1970’s.  Other Double Diamond revolvers noted are the Spiller & Burr and the 1862 Pocket Navy.

I have been trying to put together the early relationship between Uberti and Armi San Marco.  It seems that in the 1960’s there was definite “territories” for models produced to specific groups of manufacturers.  Many small shops were used for component parts.  Small shops who did not have the manufacturer’s license would market complete guns through the larger manufactures.  This helped fill the orders from the U.S. for cheaper revolvers that the large producers did not want their name on.  Even within the larger producers there was a definite range of quality that existed. 

The complete history of these revolvers and the many manufacturers and distributors involved will probably never be known completely.  This, of course, is what makes the replica revolvers of such great interest to the collector.  It is the fun of discovery.  For over 16yrs I have been collecting and researching these revolvers hoping to produce a book for potential collectors of replica revolvers and have yet to find a place to stop and publish.  What I thought in the beginning would be a simple little “Collector’s Guide” is already over 600 pages and still expanding. 

Offline anderson827

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »
Thanks for your help. I hope I can find someone to make the sear screw for this early Paterson. So far Cimmaron Arms, and Dixie have sent the wrong ones. Can't find any gunsmiths in my area able to make one. I'd also like to find a replica capper with the colt on the top, and a four finger nipple wrench/ loading tool.

Offline tomahawk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:07:03 AM »
I mentioned the capper with the Colt logo on top in an earlier post, I have since found out Uberti never made those for the open market, they were made only as a part of a cased Paterson set sold through that limited edition commission that made my deringers and the Washington pistols and the Burr-Hamilton pistols.
TOMAHAWK

Offline anderson827

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »
I'm trying to build a cased set. I have the revolver, 5 spout powder flask, wood case, and cleaning rod. I found the replica capper with the horse and revolvers on the front in plain brass for around $270 from patersonaccessories.com.
Is this a reasonable price?

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Administrator
  • Wild West USA Mojave Desert
    • View Profile
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:23:38 AM »
Anderson that Paterson with the 9" bbl would be called the "Texas Paterson" w/o  loadin' lever. I know Pietta made one also.
"I Smoke Black Powder" "Prefer an 1858 NMA Remington .44"
SGT. 43rd BN Virginia Cavalry CSA, Mosby's Rangers

Offline Fausto4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »
I recently saw one of these Replica Arms models at a gun show.

It looked as if the barrel had been cut just ahead of the wedge area where the barrel is a full octagon and then replaced.  It was hard to see, but obviously there in the correct light as the finish was a little different on each side of the cut.

The seller was an antique gun dealer, but unfamilair with the Paterson and could not explain the cut. It is cheap enough, but I.m looking for more to use to get the price down further.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:28:40 PM by Fausto4 »