Author Topic: I'm calling BS on Pietta/Cabela's!  (Read 397 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
I'm calling BS on Pietta/Cabela's!
« on: December 14, 2016, 01:12:54 PM »
This is the text accompanying the Pietta Remington Brasser for sale at Cabela's...

"Pietta Model 1858 New Army Brass Frame .44 Caliber Black Powder Revolver

Due to a lack of raw materials in the mid-1800s, the South was forced to reproduce the famous 1858 Remington® revolver out of brass. The Pietta Model 1858 New Army Brass Frame .44 Caliber single-action Black Powder Revolver celebrates the classic look and handling. Features include a brass frame and finger guard, blued cylinder, octagonal barrel and walnut grips. Easily removable, replaceable cylinders make reloading extremely fast.
Barrel length: 8”.
OAL: 14-1/2”.
Wt: 2 lbs., 12 oz."

Nowhere have I ever seen in either pictorial reference, text, or seen in any collection or museum, an "original" Confederate brass Remington. Colt-style revolvers; yes. (G&G, S&G, S&B, etc) It's always been one of the famous Pietta 'Fantasy Guns', we all know that. But to actually represent it as historically correct? Bad form, Peter.
Does anyone have any sort of reference to show this is correct, or is this just another case of Pietta/Cabela's changing history to up their sales to unsuspecting newbies on the scene?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
Re: I'm calling BS on Pietta/Cabela's!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
Cap, you are correct to do so. You could go a step further to note that repro "1858" Remington revolvers were in fact copies of the Remington New Model Army/Navy (1863-1875) and did not have a date insofar as the model name.

It has been a pet peeve of mine that what Remington produced in 1860-1862 (Remington-Beals Army/Navy) and in 1861-1862 (Remington 1861 Army/Navy) have not much to do with the Remington-Beals Pocket Models, which were produced in 1858, had no date in the model name (they were referred to as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd models), all discontinued by 1860, and have nothing to do with the so-called repro 1858 Remington pistols.

Source: Flayderman.

I believe Cabela's is trying to unload its stock of C&B revolvers and their advertising department may be taking a cue from Bass Pro prior to the takeover.

So much for Remington repro historicity. I'll go cry in my beer now...    :(

Jim

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
Well, for some time now Pietta has been entertaining us with their "fantasy guns" like .44 caliber  Navy revolvers with the waterline cut for rebated cylinders, shiny brass Navy revolvers with engraved cylinders  (not smooth as the S&G) "sheriff" models, Bell Bottom grip guns, large frame Remingtons and Remmy brassers and the like, but this is one of the first times I've seen them (or Cabela's, not sure which) actually taking liberties with history on a grand scale. I think the Remmy brassers are kind of quaint and fun, but for Pete's sake don't go around telling people the Confederates made them "because steel was scarce"...even though it was. Fact is, to my knowledge the Confederates NEVER produced any sort of replica of the Remington in either Navy OR Army caliber. Closest they may have come is the Spiller and Burr brasser copy of the Whitney.
I have no problem with "fantasy guns". I think they are cool and inventive and make the shooter say "What if?"...
Changing HISTORY?..we've had enough of that crap in our public schools and textbooks already to fit the "new liberal agenda". How many college grads today believe the Civil War was begun over slavery? Too many, I'm afraid...
Maybe if we bitch loud enough someone will put a stop to the nonsense? Apparently somebody at Pietta listened to the complaints about the Bell Bottom Colts, because after a two or three year run, they changed it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:36:45 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 07:19:09 PM »
FWIW-Wikipedia makes no mention of a Confederate-produced reproduction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1858

...which would be unlikely anyway as the Remington in it's current form was not introduced until 1863, two years before the war ended.

Nor did it make the Wiki list of firearms produced during that period of unease...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_in_the_American_Civil_War