Author Topic: Colt 2nd Generation 1851 squareback shooter w/ custom holster  (Read 3827 times)

Offline holeysmokes

• View Profile
Colt 2nd Generation 1851 squareback shooter w/ custom holster
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:34:04 PM »
Ok so I bought this gun last year and it was obviously used and somewhat abused. Cosmetically it was not well cared for but it cleaned up nicely and I must say the inside of the barrel is shiny and bright. It had some odd substance on the outside of the frame above the trigger guard which caused the loss of some bluing but it just gives a mottled gray appearance now. I replaced the nipples with slix shots and this thing shoots very nicely. No problems with mechanics that I have found. I also picked up a nice hand tooled holster for the gun made by R.H. "Chip" Childs in Minneapolis. The holster fits like a well made driving glove and the two make a nice pair. There is scratching around the barrel key as usual from use by someone with no clue what they have in their hands. The inside of the cylinder does show some light rust but nothing major by any means. Serial numbers all match including the underside of the ramrod and the cylinder. I looked up the serial number on Colt's site and it dates to 1974 which means it is a C series and will letter to Colt. I would much rather sell this gun to someone on these boards because most of you appreciate what these are and how to use them. I would like to get $450 for the gun and holster.

I realize I am new on this board and hope this is not an issue. I would be happy to answer any questions and I do have a 100% feedback score on Ebay with about 180 transactions. I know most of us in these black powder communities are fair folks but it is the internet and everyone needs to be smart so please ask any questions you may have. I also have tons of pictures. If you are interested please let me know. Oh, and I am an old college kid right now and in the middle of finals but I try to stay on top of my email. I will reply to your message.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Re: Colt 2nd Generation 1851 squareback shooter w/ custom holster
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:52:15 PM »
You are correct about it being a "C" series Colt. It is a C1121 to be exact.
These were made between 1971 and 1976.  The serial number range was 4201 - 25009.
19775 of these guns were made during this time.

According to the 6th edition of Percussion Colt Revolvers, the Second Generation the values of this revolver are:

100% - $600

98% - $475

95% - $375

Good luck finding a new home. I would suggest you keep it. These are far superior to the other reproductions out there.

Terry
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!

Offline holeysmokes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 11:42:30 PM »
I truly appreciate your homework and input and at this point I probably will be keeping it. Like a good old dog it's still by my side.
Thank you  :)

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:10:07 AM »
Holysmoke,

You will come to love this revolver. I have the good fortune  to have a lot of cap and ball revolvers, some original but mostly reproductions. Additionally I have quit a few 2nd Gen Colts but they are all unfired save one 1851 Navy. It is my everyday shooter. I love the 4 clicks the real Colts have rather than 3 like most of the repros. The trigger is like glass and it shoots good. Rarely does it jamb.

Keep the gun and start looking to the one for investment.

Terry
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!

Offline Henry Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:12:50 PM »
I also picked up a nice hand tooled holster for the gun made by R.H. "Chip" Childs in Minneapolis. The holster fits like a well made driving glove and the two make a nice pair.

Gorgeous holster! Want to sell it?

Offline Hoof Hearted

• View Profile
    • Cartridge Conversions
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 11:18:35 AM »
Howdy!
Is this for sale or did you take it off the market?
Check out my new website:

http://www.cartridgeconversion.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »
Howdy!
I like the new site, Gary!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Tom-ADC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »
Howdy!

Gary, I like it also, think its possible to defray the "Blue Sky" import marks from a M1 carbine that was brought in from Korea many years ago?