Poll

Do you classify yourself as a collector, a shooter, or both?

Shooter. Don't collect BP revolvers for value or collectibility
Collector. I don't shoot my firearms
Both shooter and collector
Other (be sure to elabotate!)

Author Topic: How do you classify yourself?  (Read 770 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
How do you classify yourself?
« on: March 04, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »
How do you classify yourself?
Are you a shooter? That is, do you buy your revolvers to shoot, regardless of value or condition? Or do you buy them only for collectible value and have no intentions of shooting them, now or later?
Or, are you a combination of both? This can mean you have some revolvers you won't shoot due to collectability or value, or can simply mean (like me) you have some unfired revolvers you simply haven't gotten around to shooting yet.
Most other BP forums are full of "shooters", most who could care less about value or rarity, or resale for that matter. Wanted to see if the wind bows a littlew different around here? Feel free to elaborate and give us your thoughts...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
Re: How do you classify yourself?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:08:55 PM »
I am 100% collector. I don't shoot my guns, and I don't intend to. It has nothing to do with regulations. I could easily shoot at the nearby range, but I just don't feel the need. I don't even have primers or black powder at home. My Colt replicas are merely there for my esthetical satisfaction. I really like the shapes of the 1851 and 1861 Navies (and the 1849 and 1862 Pockets) . I can't explain why, but they are the ones that do it for me. Holding them and seeing them is enough to keep me satisfied.
 8)

Offline Major

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 12:08:40 AM »
I bought them to shoot.... didn't realize I was budding a collection at the time...

been doing it 40 + years , I do have some originals that are not shot both out of respect & prudence .

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 12:52:22 AM »
I am 100% shooter/collector.
I have some I haven't fired yet due to circumstance, but I'm hopeful I will get around to them!
Nothing I own is 'rare or collectible', but they are all special to me for one reason or other.
I suppose if I owned a rare cased set I might not shoot it, but there are plenty of others to fill that role!

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 12:22:50 PM »
I would say I am 75% collector and 25% shooter. 

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »
I both collect and shoot my Cap and Ball revolvers...

If I buy a used Cap and Ball revolver, that is in pristine condition, I may not shoot it, especially if it is a second generation Colt.

I have enough shooters as it is.

I have a Cimarron Paterson that is in mint, unused condition, which I won't shoot. If I find a Paterson that can be used as a shooter, then I will shoot that one.

Some people have a had time understanding this. I like to keep some firearms in mint, unused condition, especially if I have another as a shooter...!

Bill

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 09:08:57 PM »
Some people have a had time understanding this. I like to keep some firearms in mint, unused condition, especially if I have another as a shooter...!

Bill

If I had a rare or cased set gun like a Second Gen Colt, I might not shoot it. I've got lotsa shooters.

Offline mike116

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:39:35 PM »
I shoot them all eventually.   Some don't get much powder through them but they all are fired.   I don't have anything rare or valuable just a few good reproductions.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 02:23:20 AM »
I have no originals and no repros that would be considered collectable.  But I shoot all my Piettas and to me, subjectively speaking, they comprise a wonderful collection, damn if they don’t.  I just love those things. 

So, I collect non collectables and shoot each and every one, a lot. 

My little collection of non-collectables that get used.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
Fine looking fam'bly there, G. :)