colt banner

Author Topic: Who's got a fall hunt planned?  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Who's got a fall hunt planned?
« on: July 30, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
Details, please...such as:
*Who-just you by your lonesome, or with buddies/spouse, kids, relatives?
*What-what kind of hunting? Deer, small game, elk, etc....archery, gun, primitive (black powder, etc)?
*Where (state/location), public hunting or private land?
*Why-You do it every year, first time, deer camp with buddies, meat hunter, trophy hunter?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Who's got a fall hunt planned?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:58:18 PM »
Will accompany a close friend on a Mnt. Goat hunt in the back country. He was lucky enough to draw one of the coveted once in a life time Idaho draws. This will make for the fifth goat hunt that I have been on over the years, including my own draw hunt in 1992. This particular hunt is beyond words that I can not explain, other than it is a tough hunt and a grind not sutable for many. We will pack in and spike out with a meager camp. He hopes to take a good billy with his bow. Each and every event will dictate just what will happen in the end. He will take one with a rifle if he can not get within bow range. Taking a goat in this county is not the greatest challenge. Getting one back out is though.

I was also lucky and drew a very limited and hard to draw mule deer tag in the back country. It is a premium unit that has the potential to produce some large bucks. After the goat hunt, my focus will be on filling my mule deer tag in this unit. It is a fair distance from where I live. It is also in tough, rugged country and I plan to spend at least a week dedicated to this hunt. Due to the times coinciding with the opening of the elk season, I may be doing this hunt solo. My few, but dedicated partners may have their own plans for elk. I will also set up a small spike camp due to the distance of the area from my home.

Lastly, I also drew an extra white tail doe tag. This tag is in the same area close to home where I normally hunt every year for deer. This tag will be filled with the Modle 1894 Winchester 38-55.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:34:58 AM »
That's a fine cartridge for deer, Scooby. Underrated, if you ask me.
I haven't set any firm plans yet but hope to get out this year. The freezer is empty. Would like to try taking a whitetail with traditional archery gear this year.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »
I was over visiting my Mom and Dad the other day, my Dad was talking about going deer hunting. My Mom got me off to the side and told me that I have to go with my Dad. So, I might be getting a permit for a deer. My Dad plans on riding his Honda 420 4x4 atv with a small trailer to hunt. I'll be using my Honda atv also. I don't know what guns I would take yet.

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:05:59 PM »
My son and close friend and I will be hunting deer, grouse and bear this fall. Just local, but that's okay too! Got word that Weyerhauser is gating off alot of land in WA this year with a 200 dollar fee for a key. Hope not too much of our areas are shut down, that would be a dirty shame. It's  always because of a few who trash the place and that really makes me mad! I've alway's used a shovel and pick to keep water/mudholes drained on the roads, quite often pick up garbage, even that left by the logging companies, have always helped 'em wherever I could, but apparently, that's going to stop, or at least slow way down. Dirty shame.

Hopefully our mushroom area won't be closed off, we do very, very,very well there. We'd better start scouting out more area for that also.

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »
Son in law and I went after cow elk and bear but only saw sign.    Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 01:02:44 PM »
Was out six days on the Mountain Goat hunt. Saw some awesome billys but no bow shots. Came in, regrouped and rested for a day. The hunt was a physical grind due to rough country and taking a day's hike to get there and another day to get back out. I lost 11 pounds. After the days rest, I went looking for a Muley on my draw tag for two days. Saw 7 bucks, but not what I was looking for. Also saw two full curl R.M. Sheep.

I am resting up on this day and re-organizing my gear to pack back in and spike out in the goat country. We will leave tonight, sleep along the river and begin the climb in the early am hour. We are running out of time bnecause snow could hit up there soon and it is not fit for human feet with snow on the rocks and brush. With that, the rifle is the choice.

Tried to download some good pics that I had of the trip to add to this post, but photo bucket was stubborn and I gave up.

Well gotta get ready so I will check in when I get back, Everyone take good care.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »
Good luck, Scooby. Stay safe and keep yer powder dry...
As for me, I drew an archery permit for deer for first week of November, so looks like I'm-a goin' this year! Details to follow..

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »
Good for you Kirk on the deer draw!!!!!

I got back home today. We went back into the same area where we were on the first trip. We worked in on a huge billy and my buddy took him. The horns measure a tad over 10 inches. We took along his little brother and my buddy Mike this time. After the first hunt, we decided that the distance and rough country would not allow the two of us to pack the meat and hide out in one trip. And due to the location of the kill, we decided to bring our loads down a different drainage rather than bring it back out the top and down the way we came in. Knowing this could be a possibility, we left a 2nd truck over at the bottom of this drainage.

Mike had his GPS with him and recorded some readings. I enjoyed knowing the elevations and distances. I seldom think much about those facts. I just go wherever I desire and as far as I feel like when running the woods.

Turns out that we began the climb at 1820 feet and ended up at 6850 when we crested over top of the ridge system. We then decended back down the back side into a steep basin to an elevation of 4610 to a small shelf where we would spike camp ( the same shelf Nate and I slept on during the first trip). From that first trip, I learned that there were only two level spots in this basin big enough for four men to sleep on. Any other shelf in the basin is only big enough for one man. The hike into the spike camp turned out to be a distance of 12 miles. It took 8 hours to get there. We took the goat 1/2 of a mile below the spike camp. The pack trip out the bottom was 10 miles and some change. It took us 7 hours to make it out and try as we might, we did not make it before dark. According to the GPS, there were two sections during the decent when we only made 1/4 of a mile per hour due to heavy brush, vertical topography, and working our way around bluffs.

From our decent, we determined it too difficult to climb into the basin from this side should a man ever want to go back in there. The brush is just too thick to try and plow though when going up hill. It is worth the extra few miles to go in the way we did. But we all made it in and out safe and sound. We have a few bruises and scrapes here in there and some hard wear on our gear and clothes. Both Nate and I had a couple of close calls with almost falling off bluffs, but the other two men got through them without incident.

Both trips that I took in there were grand experiences. It is the first time that I have ever set foot in the basin. However, the only reason any one would ever want to climb over the top of that mountain system and drop into that basin would be if he drew a goat tag. Nothing else lives in there but goats and picas. And if you take a goat mid way down, you won't want to pack it back out and over the top. Down hill through the steep and brushy drainage is the best bet but it is also a tough grind. I will also note that this is the worst area to put in for a goat tag due to hard access. There are two way better units in the area, both have two draw tags allowed each year, both have plenty of goats and big billys, and you don't have to beat your self up near as much to hunt them. As for me, I have already started putting out the word to my other buddies to not apply for this unit.

In the end, I would not have missed this hunt for anything, but as I already expected, I am loosing the drive to push my body like I did due to older age and past injuries from my logging years. I am in good shape and used to tough country, but I would be lying if I were to claim that I was not pushing the limits here. The other three are 10 and 20 years younger than me, so if they ever decide to go back in there, they will do so without me. Hell, Nate had a scale in his truck and we weighed his load this morning before heading home and it weighed 110 pounds. Mine was only 65 pounds and it felt like 200 at times. At this point in my life, there is now way I could have packed that much weight in that kind of country. I guess this old dog's glory days of running the toughest parts of those mountains are winding down.

Oh ya, by the way, photo bucket will not work again. I will try it again in a few days and post some pics for you if it will work. But be forewarned, Nate asked me not to post pics of the dead goat on the public web. It has to do with criticisim that hunters face by some non hunting folks and as it stands, he does not wish to be juried and judged for something that he has a legal right to do. Now I am not placing anyone on this forum in that catagory, but we all know that people from all walks of life lurk on these gun forums. Thanks in advance for understanding.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:04:31 PM by scooby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »
Fantastic write up, Scooby! I felt like I was there! Yeah, old age catches up with us by surprise.I am wondering how I will fare on this hunt...it's been longer than I care to admit since I made meat and it's been an uphill climb staying in physical shape for a traditional bowhunt. I've injured my should and elbow already this year with overzealous practicing, even on a 45# recurve.
Looking forward to seeing whatever pictures you post. You can (if you wish) post any or all here in "The Garrison" where they are off limits to lurkers, 'net-surfers and non-members...which is why we made this section.
Again, thanks for 'taking us hunting with you'...we enjoyed it!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »
Great story Scooby.   I understand how the wear and tear of time can creep up on us.   I archery hunt with one or both of my boys every year in the Colorado mountains.   Every year that passes it gets tougher to keep up with them.   They are only 30 and 27 years old,  still young  enough to take on any and all challenges.   

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations to your buddy for a successful hunt. 

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
I might, I don't know. It depends on the weather.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Pustic, what were you planning on hunting?