colt banner

Author Topic: Howell .22 conversion for Colts  (Read 25722 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Howell .22 conversion for Colts
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 04:57:49 AM »
Hi, my new Pietta .44 brass framed 1851 Navy Confederate revolver that never existed in history was received yesterday. It is a beauty, the fit and finish perfect as is the timing. Now to transfer the Kirst .22 Conversion to this new revolver:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 06:46:02 AM »
I think that is going to be a Nice .22lr Brasser!  L@.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 03:49:33 AM »
Hi, The brass framed Pietta .44 1851 revolver with the installed Kirst .22 conversion cylinder, Wolff reduced power spring, and my manufacture full length barrel is now complete. See:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 04:38:48 AM »
Looks good! I like it!  L@.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 06:07:46 AM »
Looks like another nice set up Richard.   Are you going to leave the muzzle polished or blacken it?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 07:04:03 AM »
Looks like another nice set up Richard.   Are you going to leave the muzzle polished or blacken it?

Hi Mike, per your suggestion, I removed the brass blackening and polished the brass nosepiece, and used a polished brass nut. I think that the brass framed revolver looks best with the polished brass nosepiece, steel framed revolvers with a blackened nosepiece.

BTW, the brass framed Pietta .44 1851 action is much slicker than the equivalent steel framed 1851. The brass to steel contact areas creates a nice bearing surface. IMO there's a good place for brass framed revolvers, they look great, work great, cost little, and at the end of their useful life can become great wall hangers.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2015, 07:43:39 AM »
I agree that there is a place the brass revolvers.  I have a couple of them.  My 5 inch barreled '51 brasser is one of the best shooters I have. They make for a good low cost entry into the BP revolver world and are a great starting point for many new shooters.

The 22 conversion looks great and will provide lots of fun I'm sure.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 09:25:01 AM »
Hi Mike, I shot the Pietta brass framed .44 1851 with the Kirst .22 conversion cylinder and full length barrel from 25yds this morning. The revolver was shot two hands at my steel targets where the group size was 2", 1" high. The brass framed revolver with the Kirst shot perfectly. We were discussing that a short length barrel .44 would make for a nice .22 kit gun. To that end I put the short Kirst .22 barrel in a Pietta .44 Yank. Here is a photo of that Kirst .22 conversion:

How is that for a .22 kit gun?

Since the short barrel is supported mostly at the forcing cone area of the .44 barrel, I am thinking of machining a short brass bushing to mount on the reduced diameter portion of the Kirst barrel that will perfectly fit the .44 barrel ID.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
That Bird Heads Grip looks GREAT!  L@.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »
Richard,  that is a sweet looking little revolver there.   I think you now must have more options for .22 cal revolvers than you can shoot in a week.  I like that better than the 5 inch barrel.   Can you hit anything with it?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 12:00:42 PM »
Hi Mike, you have no idea on how many .22 conversion cylinders I have been screwing around with lately.  (7+" (7+" (7+"

No, other than testing the timing and function I have not fired the 1851 Yank with the conversion cylinder. I once thought I had enough .22s to last 3 generations of heavy .22 shooters, but have been reducing my stash significantly. Some ammo companies have suspended production of .22s to concentrate on the larger calibers to supply the government. The .22 is already scarce and I suspect that trend will continue for some time. It won't be long before it is cheaper to shoot .45 Colt reloads than .22s.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 01:10:47 PM »
Yep,  not cheap plinking anymore with .22's.    I think you are right about the cost eventually equaling 45 Colt reloads, but then the cost of reloading has been increasing too.    Very few things get cheaper as time goes by.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2015, 02:37:49 AM »
...To that end I put the short Kirst .22 barrel in a Pietta .44 Yank. Here is a photo of that Kirst .22 conversion ... Since the short barrel is supported mostly at the forcing cone area of the .44 barrel, I am thinking of machining a short brass bushing to mount on the reduced diameter portion of the Kirst barrel that will perfectly fit the .44 barrel ID.

Regards,
Richard...

Richard,

An easier option could be to machine the bushing a bit smaller and fit an "O" ring to support it in the barrel. 

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2015, 04:50:21 AM »
I like that Idea Kevin.   Good thinking.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 08:02:41 AM »
Hi StrawHat, that's not a bad idea, but I would be concerned about an elastomer changing with time. I think I will go with a tight fitting solid brass bushing first. I ordered a reamer to make the bushing ID perfectly press fit the front end of the Kirst barrel and machine the bushing OD with my minilathe. 

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:07:32 PM by ssb73q »