colt banner

Author Topic: Goat Hunt Pics  (Read 2710 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Goat Hunt Pics
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
Men, I cannot get photobucket to resize my pics, so I am simply adding a link to a photbucket folder. Turns out that I took over 140 pics during both trips so I picked out some random shots for you to view. There was a lot of smoke in the air some days due to fires from lightning strikes in the area, so some pics have a haze to them. I also later learned that I had a dirty lens on my camera so you may notice some spots in a few pics. I would have liked to give a bit of description with many of the pics to further explain things, but this will have to do. You can click on the first pic to enlarge it and then there are arrows on eother side of the pic so you can scroll back and forth through them.  Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:23:16 PM by scooby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Goat Hunt Pics
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »
Scooby, that's some beautiful, but rough & rugged country. One heck of a billy, too. No country for cowards, for sure. Thanks for sharing....it makes the story that much better.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »
Thanks for photos Scoob.   Looks like a rough hike to get to that nice goat.    I would swear those are the San Juan Mtns. in Colorado if I didn't know it is Idaho.   

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
Great pics Scooby and a fine write up.  It wore me out, not from reading it, but from imagining the terrain.  Now, with the pictures, I see why.  The write up and the photographs together make a great after action report.  Thanks for putting that up.

"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 05:49:06 AM »
Scooby, great pictures. Are you going to eat that goat?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
Thanks men. Yep Sam, it is very good meat. Comparable to Mountain Sheep. Older billys like this one can be a bit tough, but the flavor is rather mild and not gamey tasting. They also do not stink like a domestic goat.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Goat Hunt
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »
Scooby, great photos! Those types of hunts are far in my past!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
I hear you Mazo. I can feel the years creeping up on me. I have some pain in both knees that has not subsided since my return from the second trip. That down hill pack at the end near tore the hell out of me.

As already relayed in another post, I admit that this hunt was pushing the limits for me, due to the topography. However, I would not have missed this hunt for nothing. I felt that I had a duty to take on this task. I love this youg man just like my own brother. Not only was it a once in a life time draw hunt for my buddy, it was to be a final grind for me. This hunt was to be my final trek into such country with expectations to pack in a heavy load and come out with even a heavier one. I decided that my previous experiences and grit would get me through. From that point on, it was nothing but a mental mind frame. It did get me through.

I learned later that the young man that asked me to go with him was betting his cards on my empericism. For some reason, he wanted me as the front runner on this hunt. He told me on the drive out that he trusted no other man as much as me to go in and do what we did and kill a record book goat. He started lion hunting with me when he was very young. We have been on some tough hunts before. But for this hunt, he knew I was getting old, but trusted my word when I told him I would be there through the end. I actually told him to take some younger and tougher friends that he now hunts with, but he declined and told me that it was meant to be, that I would be by his side each and every day until the hide and meat was secure back in the low country. To have such a young and tough man's trust in my ability is such a humbling and moving event, that I near get tears in my eyes as I type this post. In the end, I know that I made the right decision to invite his younger brother and my woods running buddy Mike go in with us on the second hunt to make sure the meat made it out in one trip. I could not have packed the required load out in one trip if it had been just the two of us. 

I am still on a Rocky Mountain High on this very evening from the events that took place. I am going to go out on the porch after this post and grill some goat meat for my supper. I could not be happier for my young friend to take such a grand animal. The only thing better would to be for you fine men on this forum to smell the air that I smelled on this trip, to drink from pure mountain water, to feel the evening thermals blow cold air down your necks, the 32 degree mornings at daylight after laying on the cold ground for 12 hours, the weight on your shoulders as you pack out your meager camp plus a load of pure rocky mountain goat meat, and to experience the joys and frustrations during such a venture. I feel alive, lucky, proud, and honored to live such brief moments on this grand earth. I also feel lucky to share my experiences with such fine men that can relate to my words.

Thanks again for all of your fine comments. They make the experience even that much better. In the end, there were only four of us that saw and did what we did. But we can only talk so much about it. How grand it is to share the experience with others that are willing to listen and relate.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:51:46 AM by scooby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 06:51:48 AM »
Scooby, you have a way with the written word that makes us all a part of your experience, and to wish we were along for the hunt. Like you, I am realizing I just can't do what I used to do....knees and back have taken a toll. But we soldier on, and hopefully pass the torch to the younger generation. Such is the case with my youngest son, who has turned into an avid bowhunter and fisherman (much to the dismay of his wife and young daughter). Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings and post the awesome photos.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »
Funny that you mention your son. My son, who is now 19 gave up on hunting when he was 13. I have not been in the woods with him for six years. Lo and behold, he told me a week ago that he wanted to come up and stay at the homestead and for me to  take him hunting. I was simply eleated. We spent this past Sat. and Sun. sneaking around and looking at whitetails. We got on five different bucks but the one he wanted did not present a shot. He was a bit rusty on spotting deer, but his stealth and attitude popped out within five minutes the first day. He actually retained most of what I taught him when he was younger.

I was so proud to be in the woods those two days with my only son. We really bonded and enjoyed each others company. His attitude and demeanor was that of a true sportsman and woods man. He is coming back when he gets another weekend off from work and we will go again. He plans to hold off for a nice buck, but will take whatever deer he can towards the end of season.

For a finally, he spent a bunch of time in my man cave looking over my firearms and asked a lot of questions about them. He has a strong desire to take possession of quite a few of the originals. It done me good to know that he wants some of my guns passed onto him. It looks like many of them will remain in the bloodline.

(Note, edited to correct a mistake. I originally listed my son as twenty years old and that I had not been in the woods with him for seven years. Today he informed me that he was nineteen. One should know how old his own son is without being told  (7+")
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:26:44 PM by scooby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:14:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing!
I hope your son gets the bug again! Even if not, the time you spend together will be priceless, but I've found in most cases...."once a hunter, always a hunter!" It gets in the blood.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 08:27:16 PM »
I was just mentioning today that the best time I have with both my sons is when we get the opportunity to hunt together.   When we are away from the obligations of daily survival we have a chance to talk about what really matters to us.   Seems like a campfire facilitates a willingness to share that doesn't exist under the city lights.   I enjoy the hunting but more than that I enjoy the time spent talking with my boys.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 06:13:38 AM »
Nice terrain! Nice-lookin goat!