colt banner

Author Topic: Refinished 1894 Winchester  (Read 2174 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Refinished 1894 Winchester
« on: February 15, 2016, 05:53:33 PM »
Here is a look at the rifle I recently redone for the buddy that brought the Stevens Crack Shot up to the house. This rifle fell into the category of one that nobody really wants because the original finish was neglected beyond salvage. Even though he made a very good deal on it, it really was too ugly given it's current condition, so we discussed options and then both decided on a refinish. I had concluded that the rifle may have been stored in a padded case that held some moisture in the lining. Regardless, the original blueing was toast. Thankfully, all of the corrosion was limited to the exterior surfaces only.

Priot to starting on it, I cleaned the bore and had a go at the accuracy potential. The bore is in the typical frothy condition that one most always encounters with these older Winchesters that are not in the collector category. But many will in fact still shoot good. This one did not disappoint. She shot the round nosed hornady 117 grain bullet backed by an appropriate charge of H380 with full enthusiasm and better than minute of deer lung accuracy.

This is only the second octagon to round 1894 that I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. And if you have never messed with a 25-35 WCF, I feel compelled to promote this cartridge as a total pleasure to shoot in a lever gun. No recoil, yet ample power for deer sized game. The round is almost obsolite though, and proper bullets are hard to find at yimes. As well, it takes some looking to find good brass.

It has to hang around at the house for another month or so to allow me to finalize the hand rubbed oil finish, but I wish he could hurry up and get it out of here. You see, I am falling in love with it and the longer it stays here, the harder it is going to be to see her go down the road. It is a fine functioning 1894 and I feel it looks fully presentable now.

I also removed the original barrel rear site and intalled an original Lyman DA tang sight that was setting idle. His old eyes do better with an aperture than they do with the open site.
DSCN3855 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

There is a certain appeal to the octagon to round profile for me, especially since I have only ever had the pleasure to mess with the full octagon versions of lever rifles.
DSCN3857 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

The action was also cleaned 100 percent. If it were not for the new coat of oil, you could eat stew out of it.
DSCN3853 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:30:56 PM by scooby »

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
Re: Refinished 1894 Winchester
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:47:36 PM »
Very nice!

Years ago, I had an 1894 Winchester in .25-35 that I inherited from my grandfather through my Dad. Grandpa won it in some kind of punch-card game (so I am told) around 1935. Serial number was 848896, which puts the date of manufacture around 1919 I think. 26" octagonal barrel and somewhat of a perch-belly buttstock. It was only about 60% original finish, but my Dad, in the '60's, had to pretty it up and refinished all of the oiled wood and polished up the crescent buttplate and the fore-end cap to bare steel. When I got it,  it shot well with the only ammo I could find, FMJ 117 grain Winchester in the 1990's. Sold it a dozen years ago for $500 to a hungry guy.

I think if my Dad had to do it all over again he would have just cleaned it up a bit, but that is 20/20 hindsight.

Jim

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:00:56 PM »
Ya Jim, it is always well thought out decision for me to remove the original finish and patina on antique guns. I have some self created criteria that is considered first and foremost. Honest 100 plus years old wear, tear, and patina can not be duplicated no matter what method if used. And how I do love the look of patina and dings on old guns.

One has to be neglected pretty bad before I will re-do it.

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:53:17 PM »
You just keep coming up with them don't you.   I keep looking for a reasonably priced rehab project like this one.  A '92 or '94 would be nice as they are not as expensive as the '73.    When I find the right one I hope I can do as good a job as you did here Scooby.  Sounds like your friend had better come get it before you decide to hide it from him.  Nice job.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 09:08:25 PM »
Well Mike, I came close to grabbing up another gun today. Stopped by the local saw/gun shop to pick up some more mix oil for my power saws and they had a modle 37 Red Letter Winchester single shot in 16 gauge setting on the shelf. Sure enough, someone not to long ago decided to have a go at the receiver with some sand paper. I decided not to even make an offer and walked out with my oil. After a day or two, it will probably get to nagging at me and I will stop back by dicker. I have a soft spot for older single barrel shotguns.
I did notice that the modle 1892 rifle in 32-20 was now gone. It had been there since this past summer. It was pretty rough. Someone finally rescued that poor thing. They tried to get me to buy it every time I stopped by there.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »
Me likey. You did a good job on it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 07:44:29 AM »
Nice work!!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 05:32:52 PM »
I replaced the Photobucket pics that used to be with this thread.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 05:52:18 PM »
Now if somebody would just replace Photobucket...

What a gorgeous long gun! I sure envy your collection.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 06:02:15 PM »

I did notice that the modle 1892 rifle in 32-20 was now gone. It had been there since this past summer. It was pretty rough. Someone finally rescued that poor thing. They tried to get me to buy it every time I stopped by there.

Just out of curiosity what were they asking for it?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 07:08:43 PM »
Asking $700.00 but would have probably taken $500.00.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 08:03:37 PM »
Gorgeous rifle Steve. And thanks for replacing these pictures. They are very valuable.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 08:19:25 PM »
Asking $700.00 but would have probably taken $500.00.

I have my eye on one for the same price. It doesn't look that bad but the finish is gone. The wood is good and the action is clean but the bore has rust in it. I just haven't convinced myself I need it bad enough to sell a few others to get it.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 08:38:37 PM »
I hear ya Hawg. One sometimes gets to thinking he needs "that gun." However, it is a challenge to discriminate between need and want. As I get older, I have been going soly with the want. But like you, it sure would be hard to part with one to finance another.  I might could do so with a wife, but a gun?????? (7+"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 12:12:09 AM »
I hear ya Hawg. One sometimes gets to thinking he needs "that gun." However, it is a challenge to discriminate between need and want. As I get older, I have been going soly with the want. But like you, it sure would be hard to part with one to finance another.  I might could do so with a wife, but a gun?????? (7+"

You're right. I have absolutely no need for it. It's in a caliber I don't reload for nor is it available locally but I WANT the Hell out of it. I'm tired of swapping wives. I finally found one that can tolerate me lol