colt banner

Author Topic: Marlin Model 1893 Rifle  (Read 2126 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Marlin Model 1893 Rifle
« on: March 15, 2016, 09:49:11 PM »
Went to an annual gun show last Sat. with intent of coming home with a good 1873 Winchester rifle in 38 or 44 WCF. Of the seven that were there, I wanted only one of them. The trader of that rifle was self convinced that he had a top notch collector piece though. I departed his presence to let him continue looking for the next possible buyer.

A couple other traders had almost suitable pieces, but they were a bit to far gone to fall into the original "shooter condition." So off I wandered.

I found lots of good 1892s and 1894s to look at, but I was not in the market for that group. As well, there was a bunch of Marlins. I soon gravitated towards them. I located three good candidates in calibres to my liking. Talking over possible prices with the dealers eliminated one of them. That dealer was firm on his price and not interested in my assessment of condition and rating. He was open to talking about and listening to my feedback about loading and shooting black powder loads though. We enjoyed a good talk on that subject.

I went and re-checked the other two out, developed a fondness for one of them, and went forth with a finer assessment. This trader was smart. He knew about old guns. He let me brush and swab the bore. We confirmed and agreed on a few minor issues. We developed a mutual buyer/seller bond and soon worked out a good price, suitable to both involved parties.  I had no intentions of coming home with a Marlin, but,,,,,,,,it happens. Had I not done so, it would have been another one of those regrets.

Before I got out of there, I also located the only two Winchester reloading tools available at the whole show. I wanted one of them made for the 38-55 cartridge and ended up in a lengthy conversation with the gent that had it. He got a kick out of the fact that I wanted the tool in order to actually use it and commented that he enjoyed the information that I shared. He told me to give him 60 bucks and take it home with me.

So there you have it. Both rifle and reloading tool have since been fully taken apart, cleaned, and given some needed attention over the past few days. Both are very solid and servicable pieces. This afternoon, I shot the rifle for the first time and took some pics to share. I should have took some more to show the tang stamping and front sight, but over looked those details. Sorry about that. 

Manufactured in 1899, it is chambered in 38-55. This one is also of the round barrel version in 26 inch length. The entire bore has solid and crisp rifling with minor pitting at random areas. Not enough to give any concern though.

The wood has the typical minor shrinkage along the tangs and buttplate that most "user" rifles do of this age. It also has the typical dings and chips. But it remains sound with no cracks.

The entire action is tight and has minimal wear. After I removed the dirt from the internals, I found not a spot of rust. She was given some good attention to the internals by some skookum old timer.

All of the original case finish is long gone from all of the exterior of the receiver and lever.

Good, solid manufacture stamping remains in tact. The barrel has a pleasing semi-plum patina to it with speckling through out the entire length.

An unaltered rear sight rests as it should.

A look at John Marlin's famous original trade mark. And by chance, this receiver was never subjected to receiving additional drilled and tapped holes to accommodate the latest and greatest sight and scope technology like many were.

The very first five black powder rounds that I put through it. Fired off hand at 30 yards. I shot five more kneeling at sixty yards at a gong. This old girl still groups. Nothing more to do but tune the windage and start packing it once in a while. I sure do like coming across these old "shooters." I hate to see them drawing rust and dust.

A pleasing sight to a black powder cartridge shooter.

And here she lays along with the 1894 Winchester Patent reloading tool of matching calibre.

And by golly, that is indeed a decapping pin that accompanies the reloading tool.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:41:42 AM by scooby »

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
Re: Marlin Model 1893 Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:15:53 AM »
Very very nice score there Scooby. That is fine mighty fine.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 04:50:09 AM »
Glad you got it!

The 38-55 was introduced by Ballard as a target cartridge but it soon gained a following among hunters as a good black bear cartridge.  The Marlin is a great little rifle and should have been a bigger deal in the time period but Winchester was a bit better salesman.  Enjoy it!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 04:55:35 AM »
That Marlin is good turn of the century firearm for your collection Scooby.   Glad you found a loading tool to match it at the same show.   I'm on the hunt for a 45-70 tool now.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 05:56:57 AM »
That's a sweet little rifle and ya gotta love a 'survivor'.
Nice score, Scooby. And +1 on the tool as well.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline rbertalotto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »
Love those 93 Marlins! I got one in 30-30 with a totally crapped out bore. Outside was beautiful. Someone took care of the outside but let the bore go bad. I sent it to Jes at 35Cal and had him turn it into a 38-55...God's own cartridge! Love this rifle. And I'm only into it for under $700 at told!