colt banner

Author Topic: Reloads For The 38 WCF  (Read 2053 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reloads For The 38 WCF
« on: March 22, 2016, 12:05:51 AM »
Here is a small amount of show and tell about some reloading that I do for this particular round. I was graced by Mazo on the purchace of an original Winchester reloading tool for this calibre a while back and have since put it to work on multiple occasions. It works flawlessly.

As the years go by, I have been slowly obtaining original reloading tools and using them as a main source for a lot of my black powder shooting needs. They have added just as much enjoyment as the rifles.

Those men had it figured out back then. The industry has reworked a tried and true system over the years into something that is little more than re-inventing the wheel. These tools work just as good as the rifles from that era do. They are a perfect way to go for the individual that seeks an historical experience.

And if you have never done so, re-loading with black powder and cast bullets is a rather simple affair. You can build very accurate loads with minimal effort. You just have to be willing to put in a bit of extra time.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:19:13 AM by scooby »

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Reloads For The 38 WCF
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 04:40:27 AM »
I agree with using the old tools, or replicas thereof.  I have a 310 tool I use for all of my rifle cartridges (except the 50-70) and I have a couple of handgun dies for it also.  I do notice an accuracy difference when loading the longer rifle cartridges as the bullets do not necessarily seat as squarely ass when pushed with an arbor press.  The ODG noticed this also and made appropriate equipment for target work.  For hunting, my 310 is plenty enough.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 05:13:20 AM »
Good stuff Scooby.   I recently acquired an antique Winchester tool in 44-40 and have loaded a few with it.   I like it more than using my press.   Thanks to you and posts like these I am now looking for one in 45-70.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »
Good stuff Scooby.   I recently acquired an antique Winchester tool in 44-40 and have loaded a few with it.   I like it more than using my press.   Thanks to you and posts like these I am now looking for one in 45-70.

Let me know how that search goes Mike, as I will soon be loading for BPCR myself. I already have dies for .45/70 but the tool is intriguing.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
You go dude !!!! you remind me of a younger me !!