colt banner

Author Topic: Brass Hull 12 Gauge Loads  (Read 3458 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Brass Hull 12 Gauge Loads
« on: March 25, 2016, 03:43:37 AM »
I have been messing around with this type of reload for over a dozen years. Since then, I have shot a lot of brass hulled hand loads in both 12 and 20 gauge out of a few original shotguns that I have. There was not a lot of info on this type of reloading when I first started, so I just fugured the process out on my own. I heard about Magtec brass shotgun shells and got me a couple boxes of them from Cabelas. I then got some wads from Track Of The Wolf and had a go at it. It was a simple affair, and in short order, I was shooting very efficient black powder handloads out of my old shotguns. And since I was really into hunting back then, I decided to try them out on some game. Before long, I had taken a few wild turkeys, a bunch of ruffed grouse, and a slew of quail with the loads. I must say, it was a rewarding endeavor.

Time went by, I put the shot guns on the back burner, and got involved in other black powder guns. Fast forward a bit and I ended up with an old original H&R 12 gauge, as well as a 20 gauge percussion double to add to the lot that I had on hand. The spark got re-lit and back out turkey hunting I go. I lucked out and took birds with both guns. As it happened, the H&R and the 20 guage double were loaded with my old standby brass black powder round.

Here I sit a couple years later, and I have since recently picked up two more old singleshot guns, one in 12 gauge and one in 16 gauge. So now I got the urge to go out turkey hunting once again this spring. I decided to focus on the 12 guage for the time being. And since turkey season opens up in a few weeks, I needed some fresh loads. And that is how this post came to be.

I will also try and feature the two most recent shotguns that I have aquired in future posts. I got the old girls for dog cheap in these parts. No one wants them any more it seems. They are getting traded in to the local shops to help fund the purchace of the latest and greatest semi auto black gun. And then the gun shops can't sell them for a dime more than they gave for them. Well, as long as I am alive and kicking, some of them will not end up as obsolete guns.

So here is a pictorial of some loads that I worked up tonight for the 12 gauge.

I have all of the components laid on the bench. The hulls were previously de-primed and cleaned. All but three have already been re-primed. You will notice two types of wads in the upper right side. One is a thick fiber wad that I use for filler and shot cushion and the other is a hard type that I use to keep the shot contained in the brass hull.

Here is an original priming tool that I use. It is of the simple tong type construction.

I flip it open, insert a hull into the recess, and place a new primer on the pocket.

Then with a bit of finess, I cam the opposite handle over until the primer seating stud make contact with the new primer and then squeeze it into place.

Here is a look at two different antique adjustible charge measures that I use. I use one for the shot volume and one for the powder volume

Both chargers are loaded and ready to be dumped into the hulls. Since these are turkey loads, I have a robust charge of 2F in one and a healthy dose of number 4 shot in the other.

Now there is a gap in the procedure that I did not include with pics, but after dumping the powder charge in the case, I stuffed two of the thick fiber wads directly on top of the powder and seated them with a dowel. I then dumped the charge of shot on top of the wads. I had already figured out the wad column height that I needed. All I need to do now is insert an overshot wad.

Now mind you, this press and die is a brand new addition. For years, I have been gluing the over shot wad in place. However, I wanted to see how well a roll crimp would work, so I am giving this new step a try. The die is also supposed to re-size the hulls, but for that purpose, the die has proved to be as useless at tits on a turtle. But is does indead put a nice roll crimp on the mouth of the hull to hold the over shot card in place.

And there you have it. I pressed the over shot wad into the case mouth and then ran the hull up into the die to apply a roll crimp that will serve to keep the wad in place. I now have a black powder hand loaded brass shotgun round ready to go. I intend to take a wild turkey with one of these freshly loaded rounds in a few weeks. I will shoot a few of them in a day or so and do up a post about the shotgun that I am using them in.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:12:34 PM by scooby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Brass Hull 12 Gauge Loads
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 06:48:59 AM »
I love this stuff! Thanks for posting Scooby. The photos make me feel like I was there!
We can never have too many BP reloading tutorials. And I mean that!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 09:54:12 AM »
I have never been much of a shotgun guy.   The recent posts of shotgun stuff is getting my attention now.   I have run into several old sxs shotguns in the recent past that seem to be very reasonably priced.   Maybe I should consider getting a scattergun and playing around with it a little.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 09:58:02 AM »
I have never been much of a shotgun guy.   The recent posts of shotgun stuff is getting my attention now.   I have run into several old sxs shotguns in the recent past that seem to be very reasonably priced.   Maybe I should consider getting a scattergun and playing around with it a little.

Only if you need another addiction. *6'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »
Don't need or want another addiction but sometimes it just can't be avoided

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »
At least the old rabbit ears are still relatively cheap.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Online mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 03:56:47 PM »
Maybe if you can find one as a trade-in at a gun store, but at auctions around here they are still bringing some good money.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
They used to be cheap on gunbroker. Nobody wanted them. I haven't priced any lately tho.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 06:17:23 PM »
Don't know a lot about these shot guns but this seems like it may be a decent deal.  http://www.armslist.com/posts/5245680/denver-colorado-antiques-for-sale--1895---t-barker-double-hammer-shot-gun    It's local to me (about 30 miles) so I could look it over good.   I'd like to try something like this but I just bought two guns in last couple weeks so I shouldn't even be looking.   I'd be spending money I haven't earned yet.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 06:34:07 PM »
WOW! If that's any indicator prices have really gone up in the last few years. I passed on a Remington 10 gauge several years ago for 200 at a gun show. It's been about 10 years since I bought one but I gave 68.00 for my Lancaster off Gunbroker.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
This guy has listed and re-listed it several times.  I've been thinking if I offer a couple hundred he might go for it or counter with a reasonable price.   No one is going to bite on it for $350.   I've seen similar at $200-$250.