1858banner

Author Topic: Goofy things in movies, shows and Audio books  (Read 18949 times)

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
Re: Goofy things in movies
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »
Book, not movie. Cover art. Man with open top colt in gun fight ejecting empty cases.     (7+".       Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
I have heard that the G&G in Hell on Wheels goes back and forth to being a Colt '60. We aren't able to view it, only seen snippets on YouTube. The so-called armorer expert also said only 100,000 G&Gs were made!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »
Yeah, it's a brass 60. It shows in the opening credits and a few times in the pilot. Apparently they couldn't find a G&G. They used quite a few brass frames tho.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 04:47:10 PM »
Generally-  Flintlocks being fired or positioned to be fired ,   with the frizzen open, fired with the frizzen open (no pan flash etc)  This is   s o o o ooooooooo   stupid!  Especially in modern movies.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »
Not neccessarily blackpowder subject,  however, when horse teams break away from the wagon, the next scenes show the horses dragging a    v e r y    specifically  created movie , ,  thing, that is being dragged.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
In the movie-  Count of Monte Cristo, with Guy Pearce, he and Cristo are duking it out near the end of the movie in a  , ,  corn field or something.  With a quick flash of a scene, a car is visible in the background driving.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »
Generally-  In movies with cannon fire,  Texas rising , ,  or whatever, the cannons fire and there never appears to be other than a stupid vertical explosion where the cannon ball  'hit'.  Why can t  there be,  in this time of cinematic creativity, more realistic , , visible cannon balls bouncing, hitting , and so on?

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 02:04:42 PM »
Apropos cannon balls:  In the Patriot there are a couple of bouncing cannon ball scenes that were really effective.  One bounces through the ranks taking arms and legs with it; some rather nasty business.  Another was a shot bouncing and flying straight for the camera.  I had looked away and then back just time to see it coming right for my face (!).  Man that put a real flinch on me.  I had not reacted like that to any cinema since the Alan Arkin knife wielding closet jump-out scene in Wait Until Dark (1967). 

Movies are fun, itís mostly crap but thereís some real good stuff out there just the same. 
"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
This is   g r e a t !   You ever see where a  shell bounces and explodes in the air?  I mean cinematically?  Maybe this is asking too much?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 05:28:18 PM »
I cant recall seeing anything bounce and explode. Most of Hollyweirds ordnance explodes on impact because it's easier to set up that way. I have seen rounds exploding in the air tho which would portray fused rounds. There was one scene in the Patriot where a round bounced and took a mans head off, that was ever so cool. There's a true Civil War story where a soldier saw a cannon ball slowly rolling towards him and stuck his foot out to stop it and it took his foot off.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 05:33:59 PM »
I watched a  Youtube video where these guys were firing shells from various Civil war guns.  The view perspective was from the gun positions to the target as well as at the target location.  Waaaaayyyyyyyyy    f u n !   the shells were exploding in the air, bouncing point detonating, you could hear the thing coming,  great.

I was    s o m e w h e r e  ,    where 8''  howitzer shells were enroute.  we were in mid position.  Hearing those fuggers shrieking overhead was wild.  The distant boom, seismic tremoring and and and.  W i l d !

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 08:48:06 PM »
Love the bell tone when this original Napoleon fires with canister.

Offline old fogey

• Ass-hat Extrodinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
I know this is a little late, but in many of the older dugouts I seen in western Kansas growing up there was sometimes leaves packed in on the dirt side and on what remained of the roof sometimes (think they were used as form of insulation back then - some of the older houses had them in the walls also). Just what I remember from misspent youth!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 01:31:43 PM »
Why would you need to insulate dirt? Dirt is a better insulator than leaves.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2016, 04:01:50 AM »
The leaves would be mixed in mud to allow the wet mud to hold it's shape while drying.  Soil on the roof was often used to protect from fire and to grow stuff.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com