colt banner

Author Topic: Stevens Mdl. 425 lever gun  (Read 1589 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stevens Mdl. 425 lever gun
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
Since the "no pictures, it never happened" rule is still in place here, I dug the old gal out for a photo shoot.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens Mdl. 425 lever gun
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »
This rifle came from out west (I believe, since my friend bought it at Jack First in Rapid City) and has seen honest use. These rifles weren't as popular as the Winchester or Marlin rifles, but were decent guns. As I mentioned before, it is chambered in 30-30 Remington caliber.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »
I was going to ask if you had any photos of this rifle Mazo.   I've never seen one before.   In fact I wasn't aware Stevens made a lever action rifle.   
I like the looks of it,  there is a business like appearance to it.  Thanks for putting the pics up.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »
Outstanding rifle Mazo. There are not a lot of them around. I have never held one, but saw one in a museum. That is the kind of rifle I would own and shoot for sure.

I am shooting from the hip here, but I will pass on a bit of info. The rifle was designed and patented by a feller named Redfield from Oregon I believe. Stevens produced the rifle from 1911 to 1917. It came in four diferent calibres and four different grades which included checkering, fancier wood, and engraving. It only came with a round barrel. It appears that there were around 5000 of them built. It gets tough to narrow things down though with Stevens, because serial numbers are often random, overlap with other modles, and did not always start at number 1. Plus there is minimal documentation and records from the earlier era of Stevens.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 10:46:40 AM »
Thanks for that info Steve. I had never seen a Mdl. 425 before, have been looking for quite some time, so when my friend offered it to me I grabbed it! I guess those rifles are a bit more scarce than I thought!

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »
According to Flayderman's, a No. 430 was Identical but with fancy grained checkered stock & forend.
A No. 435 was identical but with extra fancy checkered stock & forend; matted top of receiver with engraved designs edging border of receiver on both sides and on lever.
A no. 440 was identical but with fancy checkered stock and full scenes and panels on receiver (with bear designs, ect,) engraved forend tip and lever.
Calibers were 25, 30-30, 32, and 35 centerfire. I believe Remington Rimless.
I have only seen pictures, but they looked like a nice little rifle with a 22" barrel.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »
i thought 30-30 was a winchester round...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:24:19 PM »
It was and is. Originally, Winchester called it the 30 WCF (Winchester Center Fire).

Remington was smart, however, and turned out their own version. It was commonly called the 30 Remington, however, there are Mdl. 425's that have 30-30 Rem stamped on the barrel, as do some Remingtons. And it made since for Remington to refere to it as the 30-30 in order to compete and also deviate from Winchester at that time.

The 30 Remington came out in 1906. Remington produced several different modles chambered in the 30 Rem, including a bolt action which could use spitzer bullets. Performance wise, the 30 Remington is a match to the 30 WCF, however, the Remington case is of the rimless version whereas the Winchester is a rimmed case.

And then to stir up the waters some, there is the 30-30 Wesson which came out in the 1880's. But ii was not a bottle neck case and did not transition into the smokeless era.