colt banner

Author Topic: Model 1890  (Read 1178 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Model 1890
« on: May 14, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »
I have had this one since I was a young man. I was at a gun show looking for an old 1894 Winchester in 30 WCF but did not have enough money in my pocket to walk out the door with one. So I figured I would leave with the second best choice to suit my fancy.

The 1890 is another grand design by John Browning. This one is in .22 WRF, (Winchester Rim Fire). It was built in 1909. Overall, it is in decent shape and the bore retains enough teeth for accurate shooting. It had obviously been packed around a lot in it's day and has a lot of small dings throughout with minimal finish left on the metal. The wood has had linseed oil rubbed into it by myself over the years to cure the dried out wood. The wood has since taken on a pleasant luster.

I always felt like the Winchester 1890 was the best looking slide action .22 calibre rifle ever built. I also have one just like this one chambered for .22 short. I used to take this one or the short with me all the time when I was out camping, but they mostly set idle anymore. But today, I did shoot and enjoy the old WRF once again.

The 22 WRF was introduced by Winchester specifically for this model. Originally, it was loaded with black powder and a 45 grain inside lubed lead bullet just like the center fire cartridges. The WRF does not use a heeled bullet like the rest of the 22 rimfired did and still do. As a result, the .22 WRF has a slightly larger diameter case and rim than a regular .22.

Thankfully, Winchester had CCI make a run of the WRF some years back and I was able to stockpile a bunch of rounds. They were made with the same 45 grain bullet but with a copper coating. So with that, I have always been able to shoot this rifle when I wanted.

This one is a take down version which came out in 1893. You simply unscrew the knob at the back end of the receiver and the stock and part of the action comes apart.

The WRF compared with a Long rifle round.

You can notice the slight difference in rim diameters with this view.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:15:26 PM by scooby »

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Model 1890
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
Another cool old rifle.   

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
Nice one Scooby.  Looks great.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
My grandfather had one of those. I wasn't able to get hold of it after he passed away, don't really know what happened to it.