colt banner

Author Topic: Another Antique Winchester Reloading Tool  (Read 1684 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Another Antique Winchester Reloading Tool
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:10:50 PM »
Got this one delivered by UPS two days ago. It is an 1894 Modle in 45-70 Government. I got a fair deal on it. It is missing the de-capping pin, so I will have to take care of that issue. It has a bunch of exterior corrosion on some of the working parts, so with that, it is a full restoation project. As well, some years back, the exterior was coated with a hard shellac. Based on the hard and dried out bullet lube, this tool has not seen service for many, many years and likely has been resting as a display piece since I was a wee lad.

After some soaking, I got all of the pins drove out and the tool fully dissassembled. I had a go at some of the parts this evening. So far, it is cleaning up nicely and from what I can tell, it will turn into a fine looking and fully servicable piece. So with that, one more calibre that I shoot moves away from the modern press and will from here on out only be reloaded with an original tool. I do indeed have an original Winchester bullet mould to match this tool. I have had it for some years now. The combo of both tools will work perfectly for my Trapdoor Springfield rifles and one of my 1886's. When I get this tool fully finished, I will post up a few pics of the refurbished tool.

You know, in the end, I get a lot of satisfaction finding these old tools that need a bit of attention, and then putting them back in service. At least they are no longer just getting looked at by some interested individual and drawing dust on a shelf.

DSCN1608 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Another Antique Winchester Reloading Tool
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 04:59:33 AM »
I was watching that tool also.   Just spent a bunch on other stuff so decided not to bid.   There was also an 1894 tool along with a bullet mold I was thinking about.   Happy now I wasn't bidding against you.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:57:09 PM »
You guys are N deep.  Itís fascinating.
"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:38:22 PM »
One of the reasons..."when I grow up, I wanna be Scooby".
Hats off to you, sir. Well done!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »
I have been plugging away at this tool for many hours this afternoon. Turned out to be more work than I anticipated. I do believe I will still be well satisfied with the end results. Many parts are finished and re-blued and they look good. Just finished restoration of the cartridge cavity, and as it is with most of these old tools, the bullet lube helped prevent corrosion in that area. I should have no trouble making reloads and will test it when done. The Winchester and calibre stamping has finished out clean and crisp. I have two more parts to boil and clean yet, and the a bit of hand scrubbing, and then I will finish rebluing the remaining pieces. I have got nothing better to do for the rest of the night, so I am going to keep at it until it is fully finished.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:27:03 PM by scooby »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »
Here are some pics of the finished project. I did in fact load up three rounds using bullets from the original mould. The old tool works perfectly. I am well pleased with the purchace.

DSCN1614 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN1613 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN1612 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 06:10:47 AM »
Good work restoring the 1894 tool Scooby.   What did you use to reblue it with?   It looks good.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 06:28:47 AM »
Mike, I used Super Blue.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »
I never had that good of results with Super Blue.   

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 07:33:39 PM »
I have figured out a few techniques over the years to make it work very well. I have found it to work better than all of the other cold blues. The regular Birchwood Casey blue is not worth the purchase.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 08:08:32 PM »
The reason I ask is I may need to blue the barrel on the Henry rifle I just bought.   It is unfinished and I don't want to leave it that way.  My daughters brother in law has a blueing tank in his shop I'm going to see if he will do it.   If not I will cold blue it myself.
I may need to talk to you about it.   

Great job on the loading tool.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »
Hot blue would be the way to go of couse. You can also consider a cold brown finish. That is what I did to one of my Henrys.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
At least they are no longer just getting looked at by some interested individual and drawing dust on a shelf.
DSCN1608 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr
[/quote]
Hey, were you talking to me?! I also have one of those tools and it is indeed in a drawer. I guess now that you have shamed me, I need to get it out for another look at it. For a while I was collecting these old tools and molds; lately prices have been increasing so I haven' been very active.