colt banner

Author Topic: Scored some more free lead  (Read 1119 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Scored some more free lead
« on: January 24, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »
This piece weighs 70 pounds. It is fairly soft, but from the looks of the oxidization, I suspect it has an alloy added to it. I am thinking it is tin. I will know more when I melt it down to pour into ingots and then do a hardness check with my Saeco tester.

I never got to talk to my old log cutting partner that dropped it off on my porch while I was gone. He recently had the chance to take it off of some guys hands and was thinking of me when he grabbed it up. All he told me is that it came from a small scale bullet making outfit that had shut down.

It pays to live in a small community surrounded by some good people. They know a bit about you and when something like this becomes available, they immediately say, "Why yes, I do in fact know a guy that would put that to use."

Even though good free lead is getting harder to come by these days, I somehow keep manageing to have it land in my lap. I will soon figure out a purpose for this latest supply.

DSCN1697 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN1699 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN1698 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:37:40 PM by scooby »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Scored some more free lead
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
COOL BEANS!!!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 04:43:53 AM »
That looks like nice clean hunk of lead.  Most of the time "free" means it has to be separated and cleaned before making ingots.   Good deal there.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:04:09 AM »
Excellent score, Scooby. And I agree with your assessment of small town life and good friends. And a good forum ranks right up there, too.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:20:04 AM »
Now that's a hunk of lead Scoob. And ditto about small towns, can't wait till I'm able to relocate back to one.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 02:50:35 PM »
Nice score! Over the years I would estimate 95% of my lead has been free. One friend gave me 2 phone company lead splice cases, and he evidently had more of them as he is an avid BPCR shooter. I traded another friend a powder dropper for 60 pounds of lead water pipe, then he gave me almost 200 more pounds a little later. He was getting it free as the town he lives in was replacing the lead water pipes. Even if yours has a bit of tin/whatever alloyed in, it should work just fine in your cartridge guns......for a loooong time! 70 (pounds) times 7000 (grains in a pound) equals 490,000 grains. If you load 160 grain bullets, that comes out to 3,062.5 bullets. Should keep you out of the bars for a good while. L@J

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 02:43:56 PM »
Yep, as I suspected, this lead has some alloy in it. Most likely, based on my past experience with wheel weights, this chunk has antimony for sure. It tested out at 8 on the Brinell Scale. Just like mazo said, it will work just fine for black powder cartridge guns.
Anyway, it is now remelted and poured into easy to work ingots.

DSCN1744 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »
Nice work! When you said the lead came from a bullet maker, I suspected it was alloyed some. Also, it's nice that you had no impurities in it, probably just as it came from a supplier.