1858banner

Author Topic: Dead eye Duke  (Read 1259 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Dead eye Duke
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:33:56 AM »
Hi, another dead eye Duke video:

IMO the reason the hammer doesn't pull back enough to engage the sear is that the hand is too long where the bolt locks the cylinder before the hammer can be pulled back far enough to engage the sear.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
Re: Dead eye Duke
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »
  I saw he was also having a problem with the bolt dropping way too early and leaving skid marks on the cylinder. I have an 1858 Uberti stainless that came from the factory like this. Timing is one of those areas that Uberti needs to spend a little more time on.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 05:29:45 PM »
Duke said that the bolt drag marks on his cylinder were “no big deal”.  Personally, I think it’s a very Big Deal.
"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »
Yup! I'm not trying to knock the guys videos but I watched another one of his where his gun was skipping past bolt lock up when he cocked it rapidly. He doesn't understand all the aspects of the lockwork and timing of a revolver. It's not an easy subject.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
Duke said that the bolt drag marks on his cylinder were “no big deal”.  Personally, I think it’s a very Big Deal.

Mine that I buy new don't have them but it's not a deal breaker. Not a big deal to me on a used gun.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
I’d buy one with skid marks but that would effect the price I'd be willing to pay.  Then I’d try to fix it.  If the bolt is cutting a track around the cylinder it’s probably chewing on the slots and approaches too which over time would be a deal beyond the mere cosmetic, bigly. 
"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »
One of my originals was showing a tendency to want to make skid marks on the cyl. On inspection I found one fore end of the bolt shanks was worn down. Added som material to it, reshaped and the problem was solved.
Internet is an electronical sewer