1858banner

Author Topic: Good price for gated 1851 conversion  (Read 4563 times)

Online ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
Re: Good price for gated 1851 conversion
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2019, 11:07:34 AM »
I fully support this proposal. I think it will look fantastic.

It's hard to conceive a nitre bluing job NOT looking fantastic.

I couldn't agree more. Specially if Richard does it. He's on a roll lately.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2019, 07:01:54 AM »
Hi, you guys make me blush.

This morning I went looking for the 1851 Old Sliver C&B cylinder to use as a niter test. At first I couldn't find it, but remembered that any loose extra cylinder gets loaded. Sure enough the Old Silver C&B cylinder was with my other loaded dozen+ extra Pietta 1851 cylinders. Worst case is that the niter bluing doesn't take on the Old Silver revolver parts where I simply polish out any discolored areas. So I'm going for it, niter blue the Pietta 1851 Old Sliver revolver. The first step was to remove the Pietta barrel advertising on each side of the barrel. The photo is the first pass on polishing.

I think I know why the cost of the Old Silver revolver is higher than the standard blued revolver. Each of the screw heads is polished. The rest of the screw is blued. That had to take a lot of manual handling. Of course all the revolver screws will be nitre blued.

BTW, I left the proof marks on the barrel.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:04:06 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »
Hi, all the revolver parts have been polished. The Kirst ejector shell is now in vinegar to remove the bluing. Those parts will be polished. Nitre bluing is next, maybe in a couple of days from now.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Online ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
Looks great so far Richard. Can't wait to see the results.

Are you going to blue the BS/TG as well?
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2019, 05:52:28 PM »
That's gonna look pretty boss, Richard! )lI
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2019, 04:59:05 AM »
Hi Dave, yes, I intend on nitre bluing the backstrap and trigger guard. I sent Howell an email asking them if there would be any problem nitre bluing their 38 Colt gated conversion cylinder. I am also concerned about changing the metallurgy of the hammer and trigger sear if nitre blued. I may just leave both the hammer and trigger in the white.

The Old Silver parts have been wired up and cleaned for nitre bluing. The niter salts are now being heated up on the stove.

Regards,
Richard

Online ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2019, 07:00:13 AM »
I like the sound of that Richard. All blue with the hammer and trigger in the white will look great. I await the results.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »
Hi, the revolver parts have been nitre blued. The bluing is somewhat blotchy were different areas on the parts blued differently. The area where the Pietta markings were removed from the barrel blued beautifully without any blotchy areas. This suggest to me that there is some metal treatment given to the Old Silver finish. The bluing area where the bluing was uniform is raw steel. In some ways the blotchy appearance on the other parts is somewhat handsome similar to color case hardening.

Stainless steel baskets were ordered to allow nitre bluing the revolver screws:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVK3SDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N8WKF52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still intend on refinishing the revolver grips.

The revolver will then be assembled and evaluated. If I am unhappy with the niter blued finish, the bluing will be stripped and the parts repolished to a bright steel finish. The Howell cylinder would then also be polished to a white finish.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:25:44 AM by ssb73q »

Online ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »
Looks great from here Richard.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2019, 03:17:40 PM »
Hi Dave, after the bluing cures with oil for 24 hours, the revolver will be reassembled using replacement blued screws. A better judgement of the bluing job will then be easier with the revolver together. If it's a keeper, the silver colored screws will then be niter blued. I'll take some photos so you guy can also decide if I should keep it that way. One thing for sure is that it will be unique.

Regards,
Richard

Online ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2019, 04:11:04 PM »
I agree, it will be unique. That's why I like it. I can't wait to see the result.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2019, 05:06:02 AM »
Hi, the revolver was assembled and photos taken. IMO it looks like something out of a penny arcade. The nitre bluing changes based on the lighting. My artist wife says she likes it. I don't. What do you think?

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2019, 06:49:48 AM »
Hi, the Pietta Old Silver 1851 revolver is going back to Old Silver. All the nitre bluing has been stripped off. Interesting that while normal hot blue takes ~30 minutes in vinegar, the nitre bluing strips in less than a minute. That suggests that nitre bluing is very delicate and wouldn't wear well. The blue and color case hardening on the Howell gated conversion cylinder has also be removed by soaking in vinegar. All the revolver niter blued parts are still highly polished after nitre bluing removal, but will be given another buffing before assembly. The conversion cylinder will be given a high polish.

Work was started on refinishing the grips. The grips don't have a surface finish treatment, but are deeply stained with that awful Pietta red. Soaking in acetone removes some of the red, bleaching doesn't do much to remove the red. I tried light sanding, but it doesn't help. I wouldn't be surprised if the name of the Pietta stain is "Red Forever".

What was learned with this project is that Old Silver does have some surface treatment, it's not bare steel. That nitre bluing is really skin deep and can be easily and accidentally removed. Also, that niter bluing should only be used for small parts bluing, like screws.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2019, 09:29:11 AM »
Hi, all the Old Silver parts have been polished and the revolver reassembled. I think that the conversion cylinder and ejector with the bluing gone and the parts polished look great. All that's left is to refinish the grips.

Regards,
Richard

Online ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2019, 09:40:57 AM »
Well Richard, I hate to admit it, but you're right. The bluing just has too much of a purple hue to it. Not very becoming of a Colt. You did the right thing taking it back to bare steel and polishing it. And I agree about the blued ejector and cylinder, it looks better polished. I never liked the two-tone finish it had.

Lesson learned. But the gun looks fantastic now, so it wasn't all for naught.
-Abe Lincoln