colt banner

Author Topic: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder  (Read 1107 times)

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
Re: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »
i was talking about 10g plastic wads with shotcups. they fit tight in those magtec and my winchester all brass shells...

if I am using fiber, I i establish how far up I need to go and just stuff fiber wads in after the nitro card to bring the shot to the right height....

as far as powder weight, I just dont know. i use a adjustable BP old school dipper.. i set it for the weight shot I want, like 1 1/4, then dont change anything for dipping powder. a square load is a equal volume of BP to shot... so if I want a better pattern, i decrease the amount of powder by just a few grains... eyeball it. its not really rocket science like smokless... BP aint that way in my book unless you are paperpatching. especially with shotguns... if you do a level full dipper of shot, same dipper full of powder, your gunna be close... the rest comes through experience.. just remember BP is not smokeless, and is not as exacting as it is with smokeless.. you can make it that way if you wanna, but then your missing it in my book...

reason I hunt with BP is the issue of obtaining smokless powder here... i can make BP pretty well, been doing it a long time. durring the last shortage, smokeless was completely unobtainable, so homemade BP was what we could make. there is no source of flint around here in Alaska that I know of, so percussion caps and primer material are the real issue, but I have that covered as well..... and also have a die to form percussion caps.. and rebuild spent primers... that is why just about everying I reload for can go either smokeless or BP... just remember the golden rule of BP... equal amounts by volume are your starting points..

AG

Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 07:22:58 AM »
oh... and one more thing... there should never be air between lead and powder. in shotshell or cartridges.. 

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 11:10:37 AM »
Mark, I have spent some time with R&D for making shot cups from file folder stock in the last couple of days. Do you get good patterns, that is no large holes, from just pouring shot in the brass shell? Am I wasting my time with the shot cups (now that I am getting close to what I want)? I know that is what most videos about loading brass shells show, no shot cup.

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 12:59:46 PM »
i got ok patterns with the 10g cups.. remember that my idea of a decent pattern is if it kills birds... i never did actually put it on paper in the magic circle more then 30 yards. if its within 30 yards and I am on target, its dead birds..  i also do not shot out at 40 yards either.. i spot and stalk. where is hunt birds is very different then the way most hunters shoot waterfowl. i hunt the ocean.. the ducks live in salt water, even the Canadian geese, mallards and so forth. i hike to my hunting area, glass for birds working the shoreline and the grass flats, and put the sneak on them from the tree line.. i never get a lot of birds in a single outing. i typically get 2 or 3 birds on an outing. once I shoot, i usually get 2 shots out before the entire mile wide marshy area explodes and all the birds leave. so i get first shot I try to align 2 birds and sneak to within 30 yards. i get the first shot hopefully with birds on the water, and the second while they jump and fly, then it is over for the hunt and the 5 mile hike home begins...  so i am pretty up close and personal. a good pattern to me is a dead bird... not very scientific... almost never go after a single bird. i sneak up on groups of 10 or more and let the singles pass unless that is all there is. because my hunting is all or nothing on limited numbers of birds, i am very targeted.  also, I have a older gun, and do not like shooting steel shot without a shot cup. if I am shooting lead, there is no shot cup and I am ok with it, but rarely do it unless I am using 410 brass shells.  the thought of waterfowling with 12g and no shotcup is kinda against my religion.

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 01:09:15 PM »
also, I try to combine hunts... the 5 mile hike is really good Sitka Blacktail country... many times I go and get more then one type of animal..  the big problem is harvesting too much and getting it all back to the trailhead and suv.  carrying even 1 of our small blacktails, and a couple geese, and 2 guns, can be quite a job  for this old guy. so prolly fine that I dont pattern more then 30 yards.... but I will say for better patterns, I have found to use slightly less powder then a square load.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply. This is the pattern I came up with, not perfect but it seems to work.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 03:49:32 PM »
I made a couple of dowels that are a slip fit in the brass shell. Fold the petals up, work the cup into the mouth and use the longer dowel to seat the cup on the shorter dowel in the shell. Push hard, rotating the dowel to make a good fit. Remove the cup and trim petals to length, about 3/4" long for 1 ounce of shot.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2020, 03:53:27 PM »
Dowels used

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2020, 08:35:45 PM »
i think your on the right track Kid.  remember all my stuff comes from a strictly hunting prospective... there is no range around here. figure out what is working for you and define what your objective is.. are you shooting paper, clay, or live targets.. i like the idea of using the folder stock for a cup.. anything worth doing I say.. using what materials you have on hand is a huge bonus, and will totally help you in the long run... well done.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »
I think this is a great idea. I always like making what I need over buying it. Self reliance is a virtue.

I anxiously await your results.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln