colt banner

Author Topic: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder  (Read 800 times)

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
Re: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »
i was talking about 10g plastic wads with shotcups. they fit tight in those magtec and my winchester all brass shells...

if I am using fiber, I i establish how far up I need to go and just stuff fiber wads in after the nitro card to bring the shot to the right height....

as far as powder weight, I just dont know. i use a adjustable BP old school dipper.. i set it for the weight shot I want, like 1 1/4, then dont change anything for dipping powder. a square load is a equal volume of BP to shot... so if I want a better pattern, i decrease the amount of powder by just a few grains... eyeball it. its not really rocket science like smokless... BP aint that way in my book unless you are paperpatching. especially with shotguns... if you do a level full dipper of shot, same dipper full of powder, your gunna be close... the rest comes through experience.. just remember BP is not smokeless, and is not as exacting as it is with smokeless.. you can make it that way if you wanna, but then your missing it in my book...

reason I hunt with BP is the issue of obtaining smokless powder here... i can make BP pretty well, been doing it a long time. durring the last shortage, smokeless was completely unobtainable, so homemade BP was what we could make. there is no source of flint around here in Alaska that I know of, so percussion caps and primer material are the real issue, but I have that covered as well..... and also have a die to form percussion caps.. and rebuild spent primers... that is why just about everying I reload for can go either smokeless or BP... just remember the golden rule of BP... equal amounts by volume are your starting points..

AG

Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
Re: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 07:22:58 AM »
oh... and one more thing... there should never be air between lead and powder. in shotshell or cartridges.. 
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..