1858banner

Author Topic: Howell Arm's New Conversion  (Read 759 times)

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
Howell Arm's New Conversion
« on: May 11, 2019, 04:53:33 AM »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Howell Arm's New Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 06:08:08 AM »
Hi Antique, that's interesting, thanks for posting this, but I wonder who needs it since we already have .45 Colt conversion cylinders for 1858. The 1858 is an ideal host for the Taylor 6-shot conversion cylinder:
https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/accessories/conversion-cylinders/1858-remington.html

Without an ejection rod, the new Howell doesn't offer any more than the Taylor. Also, keeping the 1858 stock (no loading port) eliminates any FFL issues.

A better host would be the 1860, but Howell told me that they had no intentions on making a gated 1860 conversion like their 1851 gated conversion. Too bad because it would be winner since Kirst makes drop in ejection rods that could be used.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »
I'm like you in that I already have several Taylors conversion cylinders for my '58s and would be tempted if he were to make one for the 1860 Army, but I guess he knows his market.  Or, perhaps there is some mechanical problem in doing one for the 1860 he doesn't want to fiddle with.  Gray Fox

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 06:22:34 AM »
Hello Richard,

Well it is a gated 6 shot in 45 Colt, I suppose one could put a Kirst Ejector on it.
I was just surfing around & stumbled across it, thought everyone would enjoy seeing it.

I agree with Gray Fox if only they could make a gated 6 shot conversion for the 1860, maybe in 44 Colt.
I do understand why nobody does, other than Uberti with it's oversized Frame & Cylinder.
Just to many Lawyers out there.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 07:14:59 AM »
Hi Antique, thanks for the correction. I didn't realize that Kirst made an ejector for the 1858.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!