colt banner

Author Topic: Website is secured  (Read 415 times)

Offline Smokey

• Technical Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
Website is secured
« on: August 15, 2019, 09:40:24 PM »
Please notice the purdy little padlock at the beginning of the address bar on your browser.  This website is 100% secure!!   (7&

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Website is secured
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 03:36:59 AM »
Hi Smokey, that's all very nice, but when will we be secure in knowing that our posts and attachments will stop disappearing?

It's disappointing seeing recent post go away. When do you expect the message board to be stable?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Smokey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 05:33:14 AM »
 Richard, at 12:30pm EST Wednesday, I posted here and on 1858 that the database had been backed up and anything posted afterwards would be lost. https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=12175.0

As for the attachments, it is a technicial issue that is beyond my control.. I have spent days trying to fix the problem on 1858.

I take responsibility though. I am sorry, I did the best I could.. We are settled now, there should be no more losses.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:19:39 AM by Smokey »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 08:18:10 AM »
Thanks for the hard work Boss, in getting us a secure site.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 05:45:01 AM »
Hi, it seems that all the attachment photos are now not available. Posting photos to this message board since I have been a member that stay has been a royal pain in the ass. I give up, no more wasted time posting photos here.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 07:40:28 AM »
Thanks Smokey, great job!
I don't mind some initial screw ups. Bound to happen.
Cheers

Offline Smokey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 10:29:55 AM »
Quote from: Len link=to gopic=3296.msg34708#msg34708 date=1566052828
Thanks Smokey, great job!
I don't mind some initial screw ups. Bound to happen.
Cheers
Thank you. This post was in response to my deleted post stating that the attachments are working here and on 1858.
I deleted it when realized it was not in sync with the post I had quoted.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:35:19 AM by Smokey »

Offline Smokey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »
Hi, it seems that all the attachment photos are now not available. Posting photos to this message board since I have been a member that stay has been a royal pain in the ass. I give up, no more wasted time posting photos here.

Regards,
Richard
I understand your frustration. I have been working with websites since 2007 and running multiple forums since 2010 and I have found that sometimes there are glitches that have to be worked out, especially during website migration.

I stated that I assumed the attachments were not displaying after the transfer, bit when I checked they were displaying fine. If they were gone, it was a one time thing and was only temporary here.

To my knowledge, all attachments are displaying on all forums. We are not moving again, so the problem will not happen again.

As for your entire stay here being royal pain in the ass; if it is because of my actions, I apologise. The forum will soon be located its own domain owned by Captain Kirk. The domain, coltcountryforum.com was selected by Kirk and registered last night.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:17:44 AM by Smokey »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Richard. I am all thumbs when it comes to computer stuff. Completely illiterate. But even I figured out how to post pictures, and men don't disappear like some people's. Mine also don't have a big disgusting watermark plastered across them to get in the way.

No one wants to use PB anymore, and that's good because of the aforementioned problems and a few more. You guys should use Flickr. The first 1000 photos are free, and there's no watermark when posting. It's a simple cut and paste operation to put them in your post, once you upload to Flickr. I've been posting pictures like crazy, and I still have storage for over 800 photos available. Posting pictures needn't be that hard. If I can do it, anyone can. Seriously. I miss all your great photos that have disappeared because of PB, and I miss seeing your pictures. I'm one of those guys that wants to see pictures of your stuff. Not just words.

So lets work on it and get you guys posting pictures! It's easy!!!
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 01:50:30 AM »
The newsletter function is working.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 04:20:51 AM »
A word of caution re; Flickr

I have used it for well over 5 years now. Last year, they sort of followed suit with PB and instituted a policy of like 1200 pix free. Of course I had WAY more than that stored. I elected, grudgingly, to keep my Flickr account and pay the $40.00 yearly fee. Flickr doesn't overwhelm you with ads that slow you down at every turn, and allows you to edit your photos, etc. But it ain't free, and unless I miss my guess, none of the "free" sites will be for long.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 01:40:08 PM »
Hi, is anyone noticing "no service" errors with accessing both the Remington and Colt boards? Using those message boards are also significantly slower that what was experienced before. Is this an example of you get what you pay for?

Regards,
Richard

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 02:52:06 AM »
Hello All,

Anybody experiencing this junk?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 04:59:07 AM »