colt banner

Author Topic: Lined 1860 Holster  (Read 89 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Lined 1860 Holster
« on: October 03, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »
Finished up an 1860 holster today. It was a newly drawn pattern and usually that means doing a quick construction to insure everything fits, but I got a little carried away. I learned that I can't leave my copy of Packing Iron on the work bench any more. Thankfully everything fit just right. Learned a lot, and some small changes need to be made for the next one.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:03:46 PM by Miguel Loco »
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Lined 1860 Holster
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 07:07:36 PM »
Hi Mick, the holster looks very nice, professional. How long have you been working with leather?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 08:19:33 PM »
Nice work Mick,   My copy of Packing Iron is within reach on my bench all the time.   

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 08:53:55 PM »
Hi Mick, the holster looks very nice, professional. How long have you been working with leather?

Regards,
Richard

About a year or so Richard.
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 09:01:26 PM »
Nice work Mick,   My copy of Packing Iron is within reach on my bench all the time.
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the comment...That book is an amazing resource., isn't  it?  A retired saddle maker threw me a challenge last Friday and I had to make good on it with this holster. We'll see what he says after close inspection. He is another treasured resource in both leather and pistols.

-Mick

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 05:10:08 AM »
If you want to know how original gunleather looked and was constructed then Packing Iron is where to look.   Two other books, both by Dennis Adler "Guns of the Civil War" and "Guns of the American West" have excellent photos of gunleather and accoutrements along with the firearms.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 08:08:56 AM »
Love it! You did a great job Miguel.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
If you want to know how original gunleather looked and was constructed then Packing Iron is where to look.   Two other books, both by Dennis Adler "Guns of the Civil War" and "Guns of the American West" have excellent photos of gunleather and accoutrements along with the firearms.

Thanks Mike! I'll check them out. Hopefully not as hard to find as Packing Iron........that one was definitely not cheap, but worth every penny.
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »
Love it! You did a great job Miguel.

Thanks!
-Mick

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
Very nice work. Definitely a notch or two beyond my skill level. You have done well in your endeavors.

Keep the "Packing Iron" handy as a reference at all times. Alder's work is worth having too. You will see some over lap, as well as some modern work in Alder's efforts, but it is spot on.

Had I not so many hobbies and ventures of interest by choice, and was forced to narrow it down, I would select leathersmith, hands down.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:08:22 PM by scooby »