colt banner

Author Topic: Cap splash?  (Read 179 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Cap splash?
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:53:36 AM »
Hi, help. I am having a slight problem with my Pedersoli double barrel percussion shotgun. The left barrel cap splash tears into the upper part of my left hand. I have been wearing a glove on my left hand to protect against the cap splash.

There is a part available to flintlock users to prevent vent hole flame splash:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=flash%20guard

but I can't find anything available for percussion shotguns.

Does anyone here know of a cap guard source?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Cap splash?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 08:23:50 AM »
Hi, I found a solution to my problem, the Mag-Spark:

https://warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html

That will give me a fully enclosed ignition system using 209 primers. It's interesting that 209 primers are lower cost than caps.

Here is a video with the Mag-Spark conversion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ehUuoLfa4

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »
Hi Hawg, that's just the ticket, thank you so much.

Regards,
Richard

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
Hey Richard,

I tried one on my Pedersoli years back, didn't like it. Seemed like it was just in the way.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 07:32:19 PM »
I've had them before and they were more of a nuisance than anything else but maybe they're just the ticket for you.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 09:11:56 PM »
If the Ted Cash Flash Cup is a nuisance perhaps it could be cut down some and still serve it's purpose.

Another thing I was thinking was maybe file a small notch on the nipple or on the hammer to direct and/or vent the flash. This was described in a video by Blackie Thomas aka Shaman's Forge on you tube. He was talking about percussion revolvers but maybe the same principle could be applied to a percussion shotgun. I don't have a link to the vid but I think most here are familiar with Blackie.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 03:59:43 AM »
Hi Antique and Hawg, "didn't like - nuisance"

Was that for the Mag-Spark or Flash Cup?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 05:57:24 AM »
Flash cup for me. Maybe it was the brand or something, I dunno. It was a little harder to put a cap on and if you dropped one it invariably got stuck between the nipple and cup.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »
Hey Richard,

Sorry, I meant the flash cup.
I did put a Mag Spark setup on one of my Lyman's once,
had to order a different Hammer & mill about .150" off to clear for 1/2 cock.
I'm not sure why I purchased it, guess just if I couldn't find caps.
I remember someone stating that primers were hard to eject also.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
I made a couple for my percussion rifles, when I was shooting them. I am shooting mostly flintlock rifles now so don't use any guards. I know some matches require guards to be in use. I never considered them as a nuisance at the time, just something to work around.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 10:01:24 AM »
Hi, I have both the Flash Cup and Mag-Spark parts ordered. Ordered the iron Flash Cups so I can nitre blue them.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 07:56:53 AM »
Hi, two of the Track of the Wolf flash cups have been nitre blued. May give the flash cups a try before considering the Mag-Sparks. Advantages of the Mag-Spark is a closed system for weather and the ability to ignite difficult to ignite powers like Pryodex and Triple 7. Since I will only use either BP or Black Mz, ignition isn't an issue for regular caps. Time will tell what is really best to keep cap splash from hitting my left hand.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »
Hi, two of the Track of the Wolf flash cups have been nitre blued. May give the flash cups a try before considering the Mag-Sparks. Advantages of the Mag-Spark is a closed system for weather and the ability to ignite difficult to ignite powers like Pryodex and Triple 7. Since I will only use either BP or Black Mz, ignition isn't an issue for regular caps. Time will tell what is really best to keep cap splash from hitting my left hand.

Regards,
Richard

They look good. FWIW I never had a problem igniting Pyrodex with standard caps.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 08:33:28 AM »
Hi, installing the flash cups had the shotgun looking like a tall eared rabbit, ugly. I could also see how getting cap parts out trapped in the flash cups difficult. I decided to install the Mag-Spark 209 adapters. This is a photo with the Mag-Sparks installed.

Regards,
Richard