1858banner

Author Topic: 1862 conversion over-priced?  (Read 638 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
1862 conversion over-priced?
« on: October 30, 2019, 06:35:46 AM »
Uberti has put out an 1862 Pocket Police conversion in .380 ACP. Cute little gun.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019/2/13/shot-show-2019-cimarron-1862-colt-pocket-navy-conversion-revolver-in-380-acp/

My only problem with it is the price! List price is $570! One of the local gun stores has one and they want every penny of that. I can buy a full-sized, brand-new Ruger for less than that! In fact, I can walk in to my normal gun store and buy any of 3/4 of the handguns in the case for that, or less! It's cute. Is it worth that kind of money?

Doing some comparison, it doesn't even appear to be an 1862. It looks more like an 1849, minus the loading lever, with a bigger barrel.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:38:57 AM by Electric Miner »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: 1862 conversion over-priced?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »
Hi Electric, IMO go slow on getting one of those. That model was announced a few years ago, but Walt Kirst (Kirst Konverters) told me that Uberti was having problems with that revolver. The .380 has a bit too much pressure for a BP designed firearm.

A .31 caliber revolver with a 32 S&W (short) conversion cylinder is a good choice in a fun gun.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
I can't think of any reason why any American who lives in a state where you can legally carry would actually carry one of those for self protection, to protect your life when there are far superior options for the same price.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 09:48:34 AM »
I know I'll have one......some day. Price is on par with their other cartridge revolvers. We'll have 1 or 2 in the shop soon. Anxious to handle it.

I believe the issue was with the loading gate design..... and knowing Cimarron's lawyers are always on the job, I'm sure it's as safe as anything else out there, or it wouldn't be out. I guess time will tell.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 10:13:52 AM »
I can't think of any reason why any American who lives in a state where you can legally carry would actually carry one of those for self protection, to protect your life when there are far superior options for the same price.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

The ad was talking about the 1860's.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »
"Cimarron intends for this historic firearm replica to be a relevant everyday carry gun for today’s modern shooters. "

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
Doing some comparison, it doesn't even appear to be an 1862. It looks more like an 1849, minus the loading lever, with a bigger barrel.

The 1849 Pocket was in .31 caliber with no rebated cylinder. The 1862 Pocket Navy (which probably should have been called the 1865 Pocket Navy) was in .36 caliber with a rebated cylinder, and also had an octagonal barrel, not round.

I find it to be a bit absurd: a Pocket sized Colt with a 6" barrel? With that length of barrel, no ejector mechanism?

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo