colt banner

Author Topic: Attempting to make an accurate replica Patterson holster  (Read 98 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Attempting to make an accurate replica Patterson holster
« on: November 11, 2019, 08:10:58 PM »
I'm going to make an attempt at recreating an original Patterson holster for a good friend. He's a stickler for authenticity...so much so that he worked the set of The movie Gettysburg and several others making sure equipment was as close as possible to the real deal.

He wants a new holster for his 9" Patterson and showed me a picture. Assembly looks pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure how the main seam was sewn. The pictures I have aren't clear enough to tell. It was either a standard saddle stitch....but as close as the stitches appear to the edge, I'm wondering if possible the edges were butted together and sewn over a mould ..... if anyone has any ideas or input....it would be deeply appreciated.

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to make an accurate replica Patterson holster
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 01:47:21 AM »
My opine is it was stitched and then ground down as close to the stitches as possible.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 05:05:59 AM »
Very hard to tell from the photos.   I do know that many of the early holster designs were made by matching the edges and baseball or whip stitched together to make a flat seam.   
My best guess is that the main seam is sewn just like any other fold over pouch and trimmed close and sanded to finish the seam.   Most revolver holsters for belt carry were made that way.
To me this holster looks to be made a little later than when the Patterson first came out in 1836.    It looks more like the holsters made later in the 1850's.    Maybe it was one of  the first of this type.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »
Thanks Hawg and Mike. I have about 10 total pictures but none of them show the stitching close enough to make the call with 100% certainty. The pictures are from an auction for the gun and holster....but I have no specifics.

Mike....I agree that the holster looks a little newer than the 1830 due to the lack of the metal toe. If only I could see pick it up and take a look. :) I'll have to do some more research.

Thanks again for the input!!!

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick