1858banner

Author Topic: Muzzleloader??  (Read 1350 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Muzzleloader??
« on: January 30, 2020, 04:52:34 AM »
Hi, look what is now being called a muzzleloader:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Muzzleloader??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:08:58 AM »
People can own and shoot what they like, but personally, that made me wanna puke.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 09:18:31 AM »
I saw this thing the other day. No thanks. It's too modern for my taste. Maybe it appeals to some, just not me.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 10:05:56 AM »
Sorry, but "modern muzzle loaders" are nothing but a work-around so people who don't give a tin whistle about actual historic muzzle loaders can sneak in to the ML hunting seasons and snipe the game out from under us. If they were not permitted to do so, nobody would buy one.
If you can't hunt with what our forefathers did, go hunt in the regular gun season.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 10:06:53 AM »
It's pretty disgusting. Probably expensive to shoot too and what exactly is Hodgdon Triple 8? It would be legal here but I doubt it would sell here since legal primitive weapons are breech loading cartridge rifles using smokeless powder.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 10:11:03 AM »
Not even a white cloud of smoke! Black powder hunting seasons were introduced as a way to give hunters more days in the field but with a fun and traditional handicap. Americans are always looking to stretch the rules for an advantage. The same thing happened with shotgun slug hunts for deer. The idea was to limit the range of the firearm in populated areas, but to overcome this rifled barrels and sabot slugs were developed for shotguns.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »
Not even a white cloud of smoke! Black powder hunting seasons were introduced as a way to give hunters more days in the field but with a fun and traditional handicap. Americans are always looking to stretch the rules for an advantage. The same thing happened with shotgun slug hunts for deer. The idea was to limit the range of the firearm in populated areas, but to overcome this rifled barrels and sabot slugs were developed for shotguns.
Brad, at least with rifled slugs or even rifled barrels, you are pretty much limited to 40-50 yard shots. These new "ML rifles" with a scope or red dot sight can easily drive a copper- clad saboted bullet out to 150+ yards and group like a centerfire rifle. I have no more regard for them than I do a crossbow. I bear no grudge against the products themselves; technology is a self-fulfilling prophecy and shooters can own and shoot whatever floats their boat. It's the way the makers cheat the system by allowing the "primitive hunting" owners to mix in with a guy shooting a .50 cal half stock using real BP, a patched roundball and open sights. Totally unfair advantage IMHO.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 10:44:06 AM »
Brad, at least with rifled slugs or even rifled barrels, you are pretty much limited to 40-50 yard shots. These new "ML rifles" with a scope or red dot sight can easily drive a copper- clad saboted bullet out to 150+ yards and group like a centerfire rifle. I have no more regard for them than I do a crossbow. I bear no grudge against the products themselves; technology is a self-fulfilling prophecy and shooters can own and shoot whatever floats their boat. It's the way the makers cheat the system by allowing the "primitive hunting" owners to mix in with a guy shooting a .50 cal half stock using real BP, a patched roundball and open sights. Totally unfair advantage IMHO.
  The new saboted shotgun ammo in a rifled barrel is supposed to be effective out past a hundred yards. Some folks are claiming 3" groups. I'll find out soon because I'm getting prepped for a slug hunt for wild pigs in my area. I've already got a rifled barrel on an old Model 37 Ithica and will be mounting a scope.
  They've pretty much eliminated traditional black powder hunting in California since now you have to use a non-lead bullet. This means no more round lead balls, just saboted coppers bullets.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 10:52:36 AM »
Right...like the minuscule number of primitive hunters who actually manage to get off a lucky shot are really contributing to the poisoning of the environment... ::)
Besides, as I got into a debate with a tree hugger once and asked (when that topic came up), "Where does lead come from, anyway?" Blank stare...he really did not know. (K|
Yeah, I get it. Lead paint on kids' room window sills is bad. Getting a pass-through on a nice 8 point buck and burying itself in a tree stump...bad? Really? (K|
When it comes right down to it, the more educated people become, the stupider they get.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 11:21:06 AM »
“...part of a whole new muzzleloader system“. 

“The New FireStick system is a breakthrough black powder invention that creates a safe and easy way to load your muzzleloader rifle“

“...allows for speed and convenience with less wasted time at the shooting range. There is no hassle of pouring granular powder or putting in pellets to charge the rifle“.

Step right up!  Stunning and bold or is that brave and stunning.  Whichever.  A more fitting name for the powder may have been Triple 6.
"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
  A more fitting name for the powder may have been Triple 6.

Stop it now, G. People are looking at me funny 'cuz I'm LOL. *6' *6' *6' *6'

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »
What will the owner of such a gun do with it when the Firestick cartridge is no longer available?
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »
What will the owner of such a gun do with it when the Firestick cartridge is no longer available?
Turn it in on one o' dem gub'mint buybacks, take the proceeds and take the kid to Mickey D.'s for a fine meal.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 12:04:29 PM »

Somebody will eventually reload them and blow himself up and then the lawsuits will begin.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
Bloody stupid thing. Specially designed for the uneducated.
Internet is an electronical sewer