colt banner

Author Topic: Anyone seen shotshells like this?  (Read 156 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Anyone seen shotshells like this?
« on: February 15, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »
I was digging around in the basement and uncovered 30 of these shotshells. US Climax Brand, 12 gauge paper shells.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen shotshells like this?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 04:06:16 PM »
Headstamp

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »
I did a search and came up with this
"U.S. Cartridge Company
The U.S. Cartridge Company in Lowell, Massachusetts began producing shotshells in 1879. U.S. Cartridge went out of business at the end of 1926, although Winchester continued producing shotgun shells in Connecticut under the U.S. brand for a few years, until sometime around 1931 or maybe 1936.   U.S. Cartridge shotshells were sold under their brand names of Defiance (inexpensive, low brass), Climax (medium brass) and Ajax (high brass)."

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:47:29 AM »
That's very interesting. So that shell is probably from the early 30's then?
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 04:07:39 PM »
Yep, probably. There were other sources too of info,  but this was the most concise history.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 11:19:03 AM »
About thirty or more years ago,  I was given a huge box of gun related items.  A gentleman had died and his widow gave me everything he had.  There were old hunting licenses from 1966 and earlier,  along with hunting vests/ game bags.  There was a lot of ammunition,  shotgun ammunition.  It was all 12 ga. ,and various manufacturers.  Most of it was duck and pheasant load.  The gentleman had been a duck and pheasant hunter.  It thought it was interesting that all of the shotgun ammunition was paper hulls.  The brass bases varied.  What I really found interesting and enjoyed a lot was the art work on the shot shell boxes.  There must have been a couple of dozen boxes filled with the cardboard shells,  and a few hand fulls of loose shells.

I pheasant hunted a lot.  I would go with friends,  and Iíd bring along extra ammunition.  We all had a box or two of new shells.  For fun,  I started shooting the cardboard shells.  I didnít have much luck.  You could hear the primer pop,  and kind of a hollow echo in the barrel.  I shoot a side by side shotgun.  There was no recoil.  I broke open the action to check for a primer strike.  When I lowered the barrels to look and the shell bases,  you could hear the lead shot running out of the barrels.  I tried several more shells,  all with the same result.  One shell was able to at least push the load out of the barrels a few feet.

I donít remember if I emptied the shot from the rest of the cardboard shells to shoot in my muzzleloader or not...  probably did.  I do remember I shot a lot of the cardboard shells for the fun of pouring the lead out of the barrels.

I kept the shell boxes with the most interesting art work/ labels.  The rest I gave away or just tossed it out.   8)