1858banner

Author Topic: Win. 1891 Reloading Tool  (Read 256 times)

Online scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Win. 1891 Reloading Tool
« on: March 07, 2020, 07:23:44 PM »
Just got this one delivered. It is the first one that I have acquired of this model. It is now fully cleaned and oiled. It is in extremely good shape and has the the original L-shaped de-capper/primer seat plug. This is a relatively rare Winchester tool and the fact that the plug was still present make is even more rare. They are not so easy to find. This particular version had a very short life span and was replaced in 1894 by a highly improved version.

It caught my attention because of the calibre.....40-82. I did not have a reloading tool for this calibre, only a mould. Now I can load for my original 1886 with nothing but original tools. Regardless of the calibre, this tool was worth grabbing just for the collector value.

I got a kick out of the fact that Winchester went to the trouble of stamping "KEEP THE DIE CLEAN" on this version considering that it was required on all of their versions.

By 1914, production of all Winchester reloading tools came to an end. I have enjoyed finding and using a multitude of these old tools.

DSCN4973 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4974 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4975 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4977 (2) by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4978 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:21:35 AM by scooby »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Win. 1891 Reloading Tool
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 06:28:55 AM »
Nice you could find one with decapper/primer seater still present.      I started getting interested in these tools awhile ago and picked up a couple 1882 model tools.   It seems that every time I interested in something like this time or money problems get in the way and things fall by the wayside.   This makes me want to start looking for more again.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »
Man Scooby, your tool collection is as cool as your rifle collection.

I love doing things the old way. Just because something is newer or faster doesn't make it better.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:42:41 AM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 05:56:39 PM »
Very nice find!