colt banner

Author Topic: Brown Bess Trade rifle  (Read 534 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Bess Trade rifle
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 08:29:12 AM »
Looking good as usual Richard.

I think you are single handedly keeping the interest in guns alive. Thanks for allowing us to live vicariously through you!
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 08:35:19 PM »
Nice work Richard. I think I would have used a wood rasp or coarse file to remove most of the excess wood before sanding. If you use boiled linseed oil be sure to rub it in well and let it dry completely before applying the next coat.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 08:10:10 AM »
Hi, the rest of the Brown Bess brass has been power polished using Fitz. This brass will then be further polished with Brasso to provide a wax coating preventing oxidation. Notice the serpent brass part. My understanding was that Indians preferred the Brown Bess with the serpent. The stock has been final sanded with #220 grit sandpaper. It will be further sanded with #320 and #400 grit sandpaper before walnut staining and boiled linseed oil.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 10:19:30 AM »
Looking amazing, Richard! You are certainly helping keep our economy going with all your kit purchases!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 05:03:37 AM »
Hi, all the Brown Bess sanding has been completed. A little sample touch of linseed oil on the inside of the stock showed that no walnut stain would be required. The linseed oil really darkens the wood. A first coat of linseed oil has been applied by sanding it in with #320 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Sanding the linseed oil in helps fill wood pores. A downside of using linseed oil is the drying time, ~48 hours between coats. The first coat of linseed oil nicely darkened the walnut wood typical of a military firearm, just what I want.

The Brown Bess barrel needed cleaning up from brazing overflow around the bayonet lug and other marks on the barrel. Machining oil on #320 grit wet/dry sandpaper has the barrel now looking great. I will probably keep the barrel in the white. Browning is always an option.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 08:05:39 AM »
Richard,

So in other words, we're not going to see the finished rifle today.
Nice looking wood, can't wait to see it all together.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 09:24:00 AM »
Richard,

So in other words, we're not going to see the finished rifle today.

AntiqueSledMan.

Hi Antique, yes it will take some time to finish the stock. I'm not looking to make it shine like a fine hunting rifle, but enough finishing to have the musket look well done. I have at least three more linseed oil with sanding applications to fill the wood pores. That will take 8-10 days. The barrel looks pretty good and all the brass is highly polished ready for installation. A 1-1/8 x 1-1/4" flint has been fitted to the lock. The lock has already taken a chunk out of one finger, that flint is sure sharp.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 05:27:54 PM »
Richard, don't get in a hurry on that linseed oil. Give it adequate time drying even if you exceed 48 hours. It will be well worth it in the end.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 06:34:29 AM »
Hi Kirk, at my age the finish curing time is significant. To guarantee finishing this project I should really be using Krylon spray paint. LOL

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 12:38:11 PM »
Hi Kirk, at my age the finish curing time is significant. To guarantee finishing this project I should really be using Krylon spray paint. LOL

Regards,
Richard

(7+" (7+" (7+" (7+"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 06:28:49 AM »
Hi, the second coat of linseed oil has been sanded in with #320 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The sanding in is showing results filling the walnut stock pores. Not to let this time go to waste I cast some 0.690" pure lead balls. I have 0.735" ball purchased from Track of the Wolf, but since learned that 0.690" balls were easier to load in the Brown Bess after bore fouling. The 0.690" balls are also used in paper cartridges for the 0.75" bore Brown Bess. This guy has a pretty cool method of making paper cartridges for the Brown Bess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI3TUYkEWWM

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
Hi, since most are self isolating and not doing any shooting, you may want to spend some time and see a video on stock making at Pedersoli:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrq0rwp0vbQ

I now understand on why Pedersoli firearms are so expensive.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 10:03:19 AM »
Looking good Richard.....and great video!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »
Waiting to see the finished product...

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 05:52:51 AM »
Hi, the Brown Bess stock has been given three coats of boiled linseed oil sanded in with #320 grit sandpaper. Tomorrow another coat using #400 grit sandpaper will be given. The stock is now super smooth, smoother than a babies ass. Since I don't want a high shine, I expect I can finish the linseed oiling and install the metal parts next week. Ordered Minwax paste wax for a final coat. Wax is also supposed to be good on gun metal surfaces. The bare steel barrel can probably benefit from being waxed.

Regards,
Richard