1858banner

Author Topic: What the heck is with Walkers?  (Read 246 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
What the heck is with Walkers?
« on: April 19, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »
Just for grins, I typed Walker into the GB search engine and was shocked at the number of reasonably priced to down right cheap ones you can get.  There were 63 listings for Walkers - admittedly some weren't for Walkers - But 63  - WOW.  A plain Jane no box Walker for $298.00 and a Uberti cased set for $599.00  Where were these when I was looking for a cased set to replace the one I traded for a custom gun rig more than 10 years ago that was valued at $600 then?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck is with Walkers?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
I have thought the same thing Fingers. There are a lot of them for sale.

I've seen it posted somewhere here before, that everyone thinks they want a Walker. Then they get one and realize how huge they are, and that they have a few idiosyncrasies, and decide it's not for them. So a lot of them end up on the secondary market. Since there are so many, demand drives the price, and with so many for sale, it's a buyer's market.

Just a theory of course.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 06:05:15 PM »
1) A TON of people, many who never shot BP before, just HAD to have a Walker after the "True Grit" remake came out. Right about now is when I figured the wow factor would wear off, coupled with the hundreds of thousands of folks out of work right now.

2) What Dave said. They look cool and badass. Shooting them...a little different story. Heavy as all get-out. You'll burn through 360gr of powder with one full cylinder of 60gr, 300gr if you load five. That's a lotta powder.

3) There are a lot of older, lesser quality Walkers (read: ASM) that really aren't worth half of what a new Uberti is worth. And priced accordingly.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »
If I could only try one bp revolver one time it would be a Walker but if I could only own one bp revolver it would be either an 1858 Remington or and 1851 Navy.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 11:33:33 AM »
If I could only try one bp revolver one time it would be a Walker but if I could only own one bp revolver it would be either an 1858 Remington or and 1851 Navy.

That's kinda how I feel about the Walker too. I'd like to shoot one, but I'm in no hurry to buy one. There are many other pistols I'd rather have. But, if one comes along at a really good price, I'll likely get it. But I'm not actively looking for one.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 12:05:44 PM »
Hi Dave, just one Walker? Nah, you need two so you can walk straight while carrying them.

I shoot mine with a .45 Colt conversion cylinder.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 01:59:00 PM »
The October Country site has 4 Walkers left from the Davis collection, and have been offered for sale since December: 2 ASM and 2 Uberti revolvers. I am not in the market for one (my Uberti WH Dragoon is as big as I want to go) but maybe a phone call to them to dicker about the price would be fruitful.

http://www.octobercountry.com/doc-james-daviss-revolver-collection/

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 02:41:15 PM »
Hi Dave, just one Walker? Nah, you need two so you can walk straight while carrying them.

I shoot mine with a .45 Colt conversion cylinder.

Regards,
Richard

Ha!! That's funny right there!  (7+"

You'd need two to keep your back from going out, if you're going to carry them!

The October Country site has 4 Walkers left from the Davis collection, and have been offered for sale since December: 2 ASM and 2 Uberti revolvers. I am not in the market for one (my Uberti WH Dragoon is as big as I want to go) but maybe a phone call to them to dicker about the price would be fruitful.

http://www.octobercountry.com/doc-james-daviss-revolver-collection/

Jim

I've seen those guns on OC too Jim. I was thinking they've been there since they started selling the collection. Maybe you're right, maybe they'd wiggle on the price a bit just to move them.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 07:52:27 PM »
I pack a Walker frequently in a Mike Johnson belt rig. I don't find that they are that heavy. Perhaps my opinion is a-typical due to the lifestyle I have become accustomed to. Kind of like carrying heavy rifles. If you do it enough, you get used to it. Same with hard labor. Or lifting weights.

One time while guiding an elk hunter, he handed me his new light weight mountain rifle. I asked him why he prefered it. He said it did not wear him out as bad. Yet he was packing an extra 40 pound gut and extra 20 pound ass. The three pounds he shed on the new rifle did not do him any good in elk country.

A walker only weighs a bit over 4.5 pounds. If you use one enough, you will get used to it.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 08:03:21 PM »
Scooby, I love your unique take on things!

It's good to hear from you. I need to call you, so we can chew the fat.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »
It would be good to hear from you. I am inside the house once it gets dark.