1858banner

Author Topic: Percussion shotgun newbie  (Read 424 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Percussion shotgun newbie
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 04:21:14 PM »
Good on ya.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »
It sounds like you are on a good roll!

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »
Spent some time today, making a dowel for rolling cartridges for the shot gun. Prepared some different paper with saturated potasium salpeter. Made a couple of loads. Will test shoot tomorrow.  Will try out the oldtimers' use of flaxen fibers over the powder and as a top dressing.
Internet is an electronical sewer

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »
Len, do you have paper wasps in your area? Old timers used the material from those cylindrical nests as wadding.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 04:34:41 AM »
Len, do you have paper wasps in your area? Old timers used the material from those cylindrical nests as wadding.
Yes, we got them. Did the oldtimers include the wasps when loading? Shot the cartridges this morning. The salpetrified newspaper paper totally disappeared, leaving no residue.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 08:36:37 AM »
Did the oldtimers include the wasps when loading?

They sure did. They gave the loads a little more sting. (7+" (7+" (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 04:03:31 PM »
A few years ago a bunch is us went on a weekend canoe trip in the Fall. I found a paper wasp nest along the shore and cut it off. On the way home, in the car, those little critters warmed up and started flying around. Luckily, we had a plastic bag and got the nest into that. When I got home I sprayed a good dose of wasp killer in the bag and closed it up. That took care of them!

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2020, 12:24:41 PM »
I'm having a great time shooting this shotgun. Trying out ways and means. Paper cartridges work just fine. Have used paper and linnen/flaxen fibres to separate pellets from powder. But, found something else! After I felled some really old trees, there were these flaxen-fibres-looking thingies hanging from the stem and branches. After searching on the internet it seems to be a mushroom species called lichen, long entangled yellow-grey stuff. like a beard. It doesn't smolder when pressed, but is quite spongy. Proved a super material for packing cartridges. The native Americans used  it for treating wounds, as it has some sterile function (which might be a negative factor in a live load).
Will try to get up some pics, just get to cool down first.