1858banner

Author Topic: To be or not to be...percussion 1873ís  (Read 120 times)

Offline Ace

• View Profile
To be or not to be...percussion 1873ís
« on: May 23, 2020, 05:13:05 PM »
Been thinking about picking up some percussion SAA because,well why not. Not historically correct, but i think the cap sucking and jamming issue would be greatly resolved, so just fun shooters. I have my 1860s Iíve been working on(on hold due to other demands) as well as my yank 1851 with a thunderer grip. But if I pick up some SAA there may be some parts interchange happening. And I have a plethora of extra parts for 51/60 as well as some 73 parts. So my question is just for good family fun, are the pietta 1873s less prone to cap sucking? Grip frames/trigger group should swap with 51s, and 60s as long as all are .44 and I know grip frame/trigge guard between army and navy. But I mean pietta to pietta, 51/60/73 if you do everything right, I could do a lot of switching and have many different configurations(73 Frame/barrel excluded)??

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: To be or not to be...percussion 1873ís
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 05:59:37 PM »
Your call. Personally, I wouldn't want one because you need to take the cylinder out of the frame to load it, and need a cylinder loading press or other method of seating the ball as I see it. Slow going.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 06:06:33 PM »
One of Goon's cap rakes on your 51 or 60 will do almost as well.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 06:33:51 PM »
Agreed, have had little cap sucking issues on my 60ís. And have started a cap rake on one which turned out well, but maybe Iím a perfectionist and want it professionally done. Iím just saying. For fun toys for the family, no real mods to shoot. Just quick 6easy shots. No colt cap sucking issues. And hey a set of SAAís isnít a bad idea to add to the collection just for fun.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »
Yeah, I understand. It is hard to not add different models of guns to any collection.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 04:40:20 AM »
Hello Ace,

I have one, but have not shot it.
But watching Hovey Smith's video,
looks like they don't work very well.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 01:27:47 PM »
Your call. Personally, I wouldn't want one because you need to take the cylinder out of the frame to load it, and need a cylinder loading press or other method of seating the ball as I see it. Slow going.

What Mazo said.  ^^^

In the mid to late nineties Cabelas sold those for 200 bills.  They seemed cheesy then and they still do.  It would be embarrassing to admit to having spent good USDís on such a thang as that.

but i think the cap sucking and jamming issue would be greatly resolved

Why?

Low-end used SAA clones are available.  With prices and availability being what they are - why bother with a goof-ball wanna-be?
"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
I do have one .357 clone, and do want another. My biggest issue is that I live in California. Can literally only buy one gun per year, and have to have a license to buy ammo!! And if you donít own a gun in a certain caliber, then you canít buy that ammo. So completely ridiculous

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
Can literally only buy one gun per year, Ö And if you donít own a gun in a certain caliber, then you canít buy that ammo.

Ace, there are two contra-factual statements in your latest post. You may want to review your understanding of CA ammo and gun purchase requirements. 

"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 03:35:07 PM »
I may be wrong about he once a year law, I do know it was on the table and I did believe it to be passed. And I do know if people being turned down from buying ammo they didnít own a caliber of. I absolutely may be wrong, but my general meaning is itís very hard in California to deal with cartridge weapons. While I do own quite a few cartridge guns, itís just simpler here to shoot muzzle loaders. Never trouble finding powder or caps, I can always find round balls or can cast if needed, no license, no worries. Itís not impossible to buy a gun or ammo in California, Iím just stating that itís overly difficult and i would prefer some more cap and ball revolvers in the collection

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 06:48:07 PM »
Just going by what I found online you can only buy one handgun a month in California. You need a valid California drivers license to buy ammunition. I couldn't find anything on buying ammo for a gun you don't have.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »
You need a license to buy ammo. Full background check every time buying ammo. Iíve tried keeping up on laws but itís fast changing. Online is my usual go to for information, but with California law itís very unreliable. A month or so back a judge gave us the ability to buy ammo without a license, so we could order it online. Most place still wouldnít ship it to California. But it only lasted about 2 weeks. Gavin newsom made proposed(and as far as Iím aware, passed into law) the one gun per year law. No more rifles with pistol grip(ďassault weaponsĒ). Those that are legally owned cannot be sold or transferred. Not even left in a will to family. You cannot be in possession of a weapon that is not legally registered to yourself. I cannot let my own father take a rifle or pistol to the shooting range. Ammo is overpriced and severely monitored. This is just one Californian speaking, Iím in no way a know it all. I just want to shoot for fun, and some protection. And I like to hunt as well. As far as Iím concerned, shooting and using cap and ball on a regular basis is much more practical in California
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:48:56 PM by Ace »