1858banner

Author Topic: Finally got to go shoot yesterday!  (Read 141 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
Finally got to go shoot yesterday!
« on: June 29, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »
I've been a little scarce around here the past few days, because I was preparing for our first match since the COVID lockdown. So I was making everything ready like, ammo, getting my new rig done, making sure guns were in order, that kind of stuff.

So we did it yesterday and I am glad we did! I had a great time, and I wasn't dead last for once!! I am definitely not a "gamer", so I will never be in contention for a prize of any kind. I do it solely for the pleasure of shooting my 19th century irons.

[/url]

Today, I'll spend the day cleaning the guns and fixing everything I broke.

"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got to go shoot yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:52:27 PM »
Glad you were able to get out. I bet you are stoked to feel a touch of normal living.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
Dark and rainy here, so no shooting for some time. Definitely feel the desire to do so! Glad you were able to get and have FUN!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 03:34:43 PM »
Glad you were able to get out. I bet you are stoked to feel a touch of normal living.

You bet Steve. Since I'm sure they're going to shut the world down again, and soon.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 05:54:48 PM »
Great set up. Your gear looks pretty much like mine--66 Winchester, hammer gun and a couple of Open Tops. I love that transition period right after the Civil War.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 07:37:45 PM »
Great set up. Your gear looks pretty much like mine--66 Winchester, hammer gun and a couple of Open Tops. I love that transition period right after the Civil War.

Thanks Navy Six. Me too. It's my favorite era of guns. Not many people at matches shoot open top pistols either, so they stand out a bit. I always get people at the loading table asking about them. Most folks seem to shoot the Ruger Vaquero, which I have absolutely zero interest in.

My hammer gun also makes for conversation. Most people don't use them. I even shoot brass shells out of mine. The brass picker always makes comments about my shot shells.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 08:27:11 PM »
It hit 95 here today and I made the comment to the wife that 15 years ago we used to shoot cowboy is this kind of heat, but I was only in my late 50s then.  I'd have a hard time making it through a full five stage match and long range cartridge rifle side match at the end of those like I used to.  GF

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 03:34:09 PM »
It hit 95 here today and I made the comment to the wife that 15 years ago we used to shoot cowboy is this kind of heat, but I was only in my late 50s then.  I'd have a hard time making it through a full five stage match and long range cartridge rifle side match at the end of those like I used to.  GF

I know exactly how you feel. It was in the 80's on Sunday, and we shot 8 stages! I was wiped out afterwards. Not to mention, I was on the steel crew. So I had to come early to set up the stages and stay late to take them down. It was a very long day, and I'm still paying for it today. I'm 56 and have arthritis. Some days are just easier than others.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »
Good to see by your photos you got to shoot again! I think things like that are going to be shut down due to the sharp rise in Covid-19 cases in the past few weeks, and governors in many states are backtracking with the various openings throughout the country.

Looking at Newsom and Garcetti, I think you all in So Cal will soon be in a lock-down situation.

It's going to get far worse before it gets better.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 08:25:27 PM »
My hammer gun also makes for conversation. Most people don't use them. I even shoot brass shells out of mine. The brass picker always makes comments about my shot shells.

whats a brass picker?? i am not sure I would let my 100 year old winchester brass shells hit he ground... lol.. but it sure sounds like fun.. and I do love that hammer gun!!
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 03:59:53 PM »

whats a brass picker?? i am not sure I would let my 100 year old winchester brass shells hit he ground... lol.. but it sure sounds like fun.. and I do love that hammer gun!!

Mark, a brass picker is the guy that walks around after you've shot, and picks up your empty brass for you. We all take turns doing it during a match. It's just to keep the range clean, and most people reload, so they'd like their brass back.

And I agree with you on the hammer gun. I love it!!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 08:26:33 PM »
Glad to see you got out and had fun Dave. )l_

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 12:29:41 PM »
Glad to see you got out and had fun Dave. )l_

Thanks Delbert!

I'm already signed up for July's match too!  &\?
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 03:38:29 PM »
I have all the guns needed for a couple of classifications but have never joined an organized group.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 09:14:06 PM »
Mark, a brass picker is the guy that walks around after you've shot, and picks up your empty brass for you.

Do they have nose-pickers as well, then? L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"