1858banner

Poll

What is your favorite way to load your BP revolver?

Loose powder and ball
7 (50%)
Paper cartridges
5 (35.7%)
Cylinder off gun in loading press
1 (7.1%)
Individual charge loading tubes
0 (0%)
Other (specify below)
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Your favorite way to load your BP Revolver  (Read 477 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Re: Your favorite way to load your BP Revolver
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »
Captainkirk, the easiest way to answer that is to direct you to The High Road Forum and go to the Blackpowder section. Currently on page 11 is a post entitled "31, 36 & 44 ammo boxes labels." Scrolling down you will find many pictures posted by "The Outlaw Kid" who describes the process in detail along with the pictures. You won't be wasting your time. Basically he uses pin gauges to roll a straight paper column that contains powder, wax wad, lube wafer, etc. I'm not trying to avoid answering your question, but The Outlaw Kid did such a beautiful job and I can't even post pictures :-[! The benefit is a paper container that has everything you need except a projectile, so you can choose whatever you want. It also gives a consistent compression as the paper cartridges are almost the same diameter as the chamber. I use the tapered cartridge style when I am going to attach a heel bullet as that style loads easier because the taper allows a longer length cartridge to enter the cylinder.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 05:12:21 PM »
A while back I bought two tuned '58s from a fellow SASS shooter who was switching back to cartridge guns.  I have shot the game both ways and decided I wanted them.  Besides the guns I got 600 Pyrodex pellets and a thousand lubed Wonder Wads.  I usually shoot .454 balls I cast, but have the Lee conical mold, too.  I have a couple of the cheap cylinder loading gismos, but need to add a longer handle for more leverage.  Have any of you done that? For my .36s I use loose powder, a lubed felt wad I cut, and either round ball or Lee conical.  If I were trying to get max power I'd probably put 5 grains of fffg BP under the pellets, but I really have no need to do that.  GF

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
Gray Fox, I have loaded cylinders using my home-made cylinder loading press. I have 2 replaceable arbors, one each for Colt and Remmie. In fact, I have to load 2 of my guns that way as they are snubbies without a loading lever.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:12:10 AM by mazo kid »

Offline Fielder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 06:41:37 PM »
I'm going to try this simpler way to make .36 paper rounds.
Faster then how I have been doing it with trapezoid paper and glue.
Fewer steps and materials the way he does it.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:43:28 PM by Fielder »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 06:54:20 PM »
That's a great way to do it Fielder. I've done it that way many times myself.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln