1858banner

Author Topic: Stevens Model 520  (Read 179 times)

Online scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stevens Model 520
« on: July 14, 2020, 08:43:20 PM »
Any of you men seen or messed around with one of these old gems? It has the moniker of "The Double Humpback." The old man has had it setting in the corner for some years now. He said it would not function properly, and after messing with it some, he tossed it aside. He told me to get it up and running, so I did so. It did not take much. After half a days work cleaning the gunk out of it, she functioned perfect and printed a fine pattern at 35 yards with six rounds cycled through the action and bore. Someone had cut the original stock back and added a thick sissy pad to it, so now I am looking for an original replacement. Hard to find so far.

Anyway, this is yet another design by John Browning in 1903 and the patent approved by 1905. Stevens Arms and Tool Company ran with the design and started producing it. All I can say is that it is one heck of a neat pump scatter gun. In my opinion, John Browning was the finest firearms developer of all times. You would have to see this thing tore down to agree with me. Way ahead of the times. Christ, the detail in the action works and the machining it took to match the grooves in the barrel breach and the receiver are impressive.

Anyway, once I locate an original stock, here is one more piece that will once again be put to use and most likely take a wild turkey with brass hulls and black powder. Dang, I like messing around with these old forgotten guns.

Oh ya, if you get a hankering, look up the history on this model and take note on it's transition into a military trench gun in WWII. Then try to buy one for a price you are willing to give.

DSCN5104 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN5105 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN5106 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN5107 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN5116 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN5117 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:25:41 PM by scooby »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Global Moderator
  • Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens Model 520
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 10:05:19 PM »
That's a neat Ol girl right there Steve. I've seen pictures of them, but never known anyone that had one, and I've never seen one broken down. Very intricate machining on that breech. I bet it's strong as a bank vault.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 11:53:10 PM »
ive had 2 of them. great guns! plus you can slam fire them like the 97 and model 12 winnys.... both mine were jc higgins guns so they didnt cost much and sold for not much more than i paid for them... there are two different stocks for them, one has a longer tang than the other... i think yours is the long one. i think i have an action bar and tube laying around here somewhere for one, if you want it let me know. its cracked but i think it can be repaired, we're moving next weekend and it will go in the trash if you dont want it

unfortunately i had to sell mine because they arent wild bunch legal guns but i wish id kept one...

if you ever want to part with it... :)
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 02:07:13 AM »
I've got one of each. The double hump design and the later single hump. Both have had stocks replaced and one needs a bead and the other needs a stock screw.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 07:31:36 AM »
Impressive machining  there, Scooby. Do you know when it was made? I don't think High Speed Steel for tools did come until late 20ths or early 30ths, which might mean that this gem was machined with just high carbon steel cutting tools.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:37:21 AM by Len »
Internet is an electronical sewer

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 08:16:07 AM »
Very nice job on getting that ol' warhorse going!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 08:30:37 AM »
I've not seen one of those models before. Nice gun! Have you considered grafting on new wood to the buttstock to replace what was removed? Should be fairly easy to shape and blend.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 11:47:52 AM »
Boomstick, I dont think I will need the parts. I thank you very much for offering them.

Hawg, I will see if I have a stock screw.

Say Len. It is hard to pinpoint dates of Stevens firearms, but from the address, it was made after 1915.

Kirk, that is an option.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 12:29:10 PM »
Appreciate it Scoob. Yours was made after 1920 but before 1928. After Savage bought out Stevens in 1920 they moved the slide release from the left side of the frame to the left side of the trigger plate. My double hump was make between 1928-1939 as it is marked Riverside instead of Stevens. Riverside was their budget line.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »
Hey Scooby,

I have the Sear's Version, Ranger Model 30 in 16ga. They sure made a sweet 16.
Mine had a sight band soldered on the muzzle, but I purchased a different barrel for it.
I needed to install a bead and plan to ream the full choke out to modified.
Really slick how they come apart, pull for arm back, unscrew magazine tune to release locking lug,
and slide barrel down out of receiver. Truly an ingenious design of Browning.
Some had what they called a suicide safety in front of trigger, like yours Scooby.
Mine has the safety on the trigger guard. Single Hump's had a tang safety.

AntiqueSledMan.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 12:54:09 PM by AntiqueSledMan »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 01:09:03 PM »
The 16 gauge came out in 1928.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »
Hello Hawg,

When did they switch from suicide safety?
When did they switch to single humps?
Where did you find this information?
I looked all over for this.

Thanks, AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 01:38:53 PM »