1858banner

Author Topic: For The Wild Bunch Bunch  (Read 84 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• View Profile
For The Wild Bunch Bunch
« on: August 30, 2020, 02:00:37 PM »
I made this holster for Wild Bunch matches.

The holster itself is a copy of a beautiful Frazier holster in Packing Iron but without the retention strap and all the decorative stuff. The holster is formed enough that the pistol won't creep up and out, even while running, but it still allows quick draw and re-holstering.

The mag carrier is basically dimensioned off a WW1 mag pouch but made with no flap. Like the holster, the pouch keeps the mags secure but still allows quick mag access. The pouches were formed over wooden blocks then the whole thing assembled when dry.

After assembly, these were dipped in a light walnut dye made from green hulls of English walnuts. They were placed in the sun to dry and darken from light exposure. I rotated them frequently to get the darkening as even as possible.

I made an early 20th century style belt to hand them on. It is a copy of a work bely my father picked up when he was a kid (he was born in 1900). I used speedy rivets because they look the most like the flat head tubular rivets used on the original belt. There was no stitching on it. The buckle is from that belt. I have another buckle of that type and eventually I'll make another belt like it with copper rivets and use the same dye on it.

Online sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: For The Wild Bunch Bunch
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 05:44:07 PM »
I love 1911 .45 pistols! Mine is a reworked AMT Covina (don't laugh) that I replaced all of the soft parts (sear pin, hammer pin, thumb safety, hammer strut, firing pin, firing pin stop, extractor) with blued carbon steel parts and I throated the barrel per Jerry Kuhnhausen's book. It has been my HD/SD/truck gun for almost 30 years. It is not much to look at but it runs. Since I got old and don't wear a belt anymore (just suspenders) I added a Clip-Draw to the right side of the grip to wear at the 4 o'clock position. It works well for me at 68 years.

In 2013 I tired of swapping my JA Ciener .22 top end on my .45 so I bought an Olympic Arms Matchmaster carbon steel stripped frame at a local gun show. When I got it it was a blem with minor casting holes in the frame under the grip panels and a casting hole in the extended trigger frame. I cut that protrusion off squaring up the trigger guard. I bought parts from SARCO, Numrich, Wolff, and Hogue to make a dedicated 1911 .22. It took about 3 months of on and off fitting of the parts, but when I was satisfied it would run I travelled to Olympic Arms (they were still in business in 2014) to have the frame and the MSH parked in a grey color to match the Ciener barrel for $45, and I received it the next day via UPS, no charge. It has fixed sights but shoots minute-of-soda can at 50 feet. Better than a plinker.

I have about $450 into it but I highly doubt anyone will see one like it. Worth it to me.

That holster is very fine! I wish I had the talent that you leatherworkers have.

Kudos!

Jim
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 06:01:32 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 05:55:45 PM »
Your work is exemplary Marshal.

That's a damn nice rig.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 08:18:37 PM »
Thanks, guys.

I just realized that the pistol in the photo wasn't fully seated into the holster. Here's one more pic with it seated properly.

Sourdough, those are nice shootin' irons. I like the clip on the first one.